Prevent teachers from edit other teacher's content

Prevent teachers from edit other teacher's content

by Roberto Martorana -
Number of replies: 8

Good morning, 

I manage a Moodle installation at my school, in Italy. I set up courses in which there are more than one teachers (8-10 teachers, actually), besides students. I give to the courses the Topic format, and I assign to each teacher one o more sections in the same course, depending on the subects they teach. For example, a teacher can teach "Italiano" and "Latino", another "Matematica" and so on, and so there is a section for "Italiano", one for "Latino", one for "Matematica" and so on. 

A question arise, because any teacher is allowed to edit the content (resources and activities) created by any other teacher. Is there a way to prevent this? For example by assigning an "edit section" permission only to the teacher that, let's say, "owns" that section? I've made many lookups, but I've found nothing. 

Thanks for your attention!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Roberto Martorana

Re: Prevent teachers from edit other teacher's content

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello there and sending you good wishes smile
Your question is often asked and it is something often requested but unfortunately at the moment there is no mechanism to prevent teachers in one topic section editing the resources of another teacher, if all teachers have the editing teacher role.
I assume you need them all to have editing rights? If not then you could make them non-editing teachers, but I understand that might not be suitable. Alternatively, can you not use different courses and then all the Latino teachers share a course and all the Matematica teachers share a course? At least then if they mistakenly edit something, it will be the same subject that the other teacher is teaching?
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Ri: Re: Prevent teachers from edit other teacher's content

by Roberto Martorana -
Thanks Mary for your wishes and for your answer. Unfortunately I cannot create courses for Subject, because each of them should have as participants all the students of the school (aboun 1200!).
It's a pity that none have made a Moodle extension for this... maybe in the future...
Thanks again, and good wishes to you too!

Re: Ri: Re: Prevent teachers from edit other teacher's content

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ok thanks - but I'm still not sure why you can't create courses for each subject. You could use groups to divide the students and teachers into their own classes, even though the course might have all the students in the school in it smile Anway, good luck!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Prevent teachers from edit other teacher's content

by Roberto Martorana -
I cannot still figure precisely how to do that, but I'm going to take seriously the advice and to study groups and grouping and see if this suits to me. Thanks again!

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Maybe a tracker request for an improvement - to allow assigning of roles at a Section level: That way all teachers could be given non-editing role across the course, and assigned an editing role only on the section they need.

You could also look at the mod_subcourse plugin. Would that work, such that your existing courses link to sub-courses where the teachers have editing rights? It's a bit more set-up, but may match your needs?

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Roberto Martorana -
Yes, after the present emergency has passed, I'll consider to make a tracker request: in my opinion this would be a good improvement. Thanks!

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Could you make them non-editing teachers for the course but assign teacher permission to their topic? Maybe not--maybe give them creation permission but not editing? Then teacher permission for specific activities they own? I know you can assign roles to resources and activities...might require some manual work...

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Roberto Martorana -
I will explore also this possibility. Thanks!