Cloze question grading issue

Cloze question grading issue

by Al Henneberger -
Number of replies: 5

I have created several Cloze questions that contain many parts (up to 90).  The problem I am having is that not all seem to be graded correctly.

In the first images below the questions are answered completely correctly, but the grade is less than 100%.  When I first saw the question, I thought there was something wrong with the question, but then I saw the second image question with the same problem.  Then I thought, "maybe I have too many parts," but I have the same type of questions that are graded correctly.

I made all of this type of question the same way.  I made one, ensured the code was correct, then duplicated the question and modified it for the new question as required.

Now I do have some of these questions where the taker did miss one.  The incorrect answer is marked as incorrect and the grade is proportional to the number incorrect.  Here, however, none are marked as incorrect but the grade is not correct.  

Below the last image is the code I used for all of these questions.  as you can see I do not specify any special grading for any block.

FYI, both questions are valued at 1.  My Moodle version is 3.5.3.  Cloze version 2018051400.

So, now my question, Is it something I did wrong, is there a bug, or something else, how do I fix it without overriding the grade?

{:SA:=n} {:SA:=X} {:SA:=n~=0} {:NM:=30} {:SA:=C } {:SA:= C} {:SA:=n} {:SA:=n} {:SA:=n} {:SA:=n} {:SA:=n} {:SA:=X} {:SA:=n~=0} {:NM:=30} {:SA:=n} {:SA:=n} {:SA:= C} {:SA:= C} {:SA:=n} {:SA:=n} {:SA:=n} {:SA:=X} {:SA:=n~=0} {:NM:=30} {:SA:=n} {:SA:=n} {:SA:=n} {:SA:=n} {:SA:=C} {:SA:=C}
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Al Henneberger

Re: Cloze question grading issue

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

"Start a new preview" was not clicked!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Al Henneberger -
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, when I created the question I did the decode and verify.  I missed doing that accidentally a few times and it seems to do the check automatically.  Even if it did not, I performed the check and it passed for both questions.
These questions were not taken from a preview but from an exam test performed by another teacher acting as a student.  Do preview values hold over to an actual quiz?  I typically do not preview quizzes.  I do, however, frequently preview individual questions.
I hovered over one of the blocks that has an alternative answer (0 in this case) and got the below image.

The primary answer is 'n.'  I checked all answers and none had a mark less than 1.  Then I thought, perhaps it sees the alternate answer as correct but does not count it as such.  In my second example, if that were the case the score would be 0.88, not 0.97.  To get a 0.97, two of the answers need to be counted as incorrect.  In this case there are seven blocks using the secondary answer.
As you can see I have no code between the {} as mentioned in your link.  I am a little confused with the two lines in your link.  The line under Working and the line under Not Working are identical except for Not Working uses 'or' and Working uses 'and.'  Both logic words are outside of the {}.  Your link is from 2015, my version of the Cloze question is from 2018.  Perhaps, they corrected the issue, but maybe not.
I may just rewrite those questions as they are the only ones of that type that are not working correctly.  I may do that after more exam testing.
You might have a point in that somehow a preview score carried over to a quiz.  Though, I have not seen it happen before.
I shall continue to cogitate on the problem.
In reply to Al Henneberger

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Al,

These questions were not taken from a preview but from an exam test performed by another teacher acting as a student.
If you say so. But the screenshots in your first post come from a quiz preview. The question number "10" and "Edit question" in the question block clearly demonstrate this. So my recommendation is still valid: Always click "Start a new preview" each time you preview a quiz.

Do preview values hold over to an actual quiz?
No, never.

I am a little confused with the two lines in your link.
Stan Bogdanov's contribution in 2015 may not be clear enough. I edited it. You can take a look here.

by Al Henneberger -

Ok, I see where you get the preview.  I got to where I grabbed the image from the Review Attempt link in the quiz results not the Preview option under the gear.  Sorry for the confusion.

I did not think the values would be held over as that would be nonsensical.  But, sometimes, you never know.

Your edit is much clearer and is what I thought was meant.

by Al Henneberger -
To make things even more fun, both of these questions were correctly graded in subsequent exams!