Switching to Moodle quizzes from SCORM

Switching to Moodle quizzes from SCORM

by Henry Quinn -
Number of replies: 9

I'm switching to Moodle's builtin quiz format.  I was using SCORM modules to create quizzes but that didn't provide the capability I need.

Specifically, I need a student to be able to take a quiz once, fail the quiz, then be allowed to take the quiz again and if they fail again, then a manager gets notified through a specified email address.  The quiz gets locked again so that the student cannot retake the test a third time.  Then either the Moodle admin or a teacher can manually unlock the quiz for the student and allow them to take the quiz again.

Is there a way to do this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Henry Quinn

Re: Switching to Moodle quizzes from SCORM

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Yes to most of it. What happens if they pass on first attempt? Are they allowed to do it again? If so, then your workflow above is easy. And you can use quiz submission notification settings to send the emails.
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Henry Quinn -
--> If they pass on the first attempt, the Quiz activity should be marked "Passed".
--> If they fail the first attempt, they automatically get a second chance to retake the quiz

--> If second attempt = pass, then the activity is marked "Passed".
--> If second attempt = fail, then activity is locked preventing student retake. A teacher is notified which has to manually intervene to unlock the quiz so they can take it again (3rd attempt)
----> (third attempt)
----------> if pass, activity is marked Passed.
----------> if fail, quiz is locked pending teacher unlock...... so basically every subsequent attempt requires a manual teacher unlock to re-attempt.

Thanks for the link... I am looking at it now.
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Henry Quinn -
I looked at the link https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Quiz_submission_email_notification

I set up the Non-Editing Teacher role to receive emails. I have no idea what it is talking about with respect to Groups. I'm not using groups. My intent is if I add a user to a course with the role of Non-Editing Teacher, that they will receive messages if a student fails a second attempt at a quiz. I see that under Language Customization, I can customize emails (e.g. mod_quiz
emailnotifybody
Hi {$a->username}, {$a->studentname} has completed '{$a->quizname}' ({$a->quizurl}) in course '{$a->coursename}'. You can review this attempt at {$a->quizreviewurl}.)

But, I don't see any way to get notified on a second attempt failure.
In reply to Henry Quinn

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
If you want the manager notified, using Jon's suggestion below, create a manager role, give quiz notification permissions to it, create a group for each manager. Enroll the manager as a manager (not a student), add the manager and all their employees to the group. When any quizzes for their employees are submitted, they get the notice (not generally just when they fail). If you set it up properly, the manager might be able to see quiz results and discuss them with the student and go in and look at all their employees at once. The manager will only be allowed to see the students in their group if the role and the group is created properly.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Henry Quinn -
I used the Non-Editing teacher role and modified it so that it could receive emails.
Dashboard --> Site Administration --> Users --> Permissions --> Define Roles --> Non-editing teacher
These are the permissions :
○ Receive grader submission notifications
mod/assign:receivegradernotifications
Allow
○ Receive email notification
mod/feedback:receivemail
Allow
Get a notification message when an attempt is submitted
mod/quiz:emailnotifysubmission
Allow
Default: Not set
○ Get a notification message when an attempt becomes overdue and needs to be submitted.
mod/quiz:emailwarnoverdue
Allow
○ Default: Not set
Receive email notification
Allow
○ Get a confirmation message when submitting
mod/quiz:emailconfirmsubmission
Allow
○ Get a notification message when an attempt is submitted
Allow
○ Get a notification message when an attempt becomes overdue and needs to be submitted.
Allow

I created a Course called "TEST". It has a SCORM lesson and a Moodle quiz called "Test Quiz". I have a user called "Global TM" added with the role "Non-editing Teacher". The intent is for this user to receive emails.

In Course Administration --> Users --> Permissions, the following relevant permissions are:
Receive grader submission notifications
mod/assign:receivegradernotifications
Non-editing teacher Delete Teacher Delete Manager Delete

Receive email notification
Privacy risk Non-editing teacher Delete Teacher Delete

Get a notification message when an attempt is submitted
Non-editing teacher Delete
Allow
Prohibit

Get a notification message when an attempt becomes overdue and needs to be submitted.
Non-editing teacher Delete
Allow

But from here on... I really don't understand how Groups work in Moodle.
In reply to Henry Quinn

by Melanie Scott -

So, to create groups, go to Participants and click the Edit widget at the top right (I use Boost--that's where it is in Boost, can't comment on any other theme) and choose groups. on the bottom left click create group. Just give it a name and save it. You can add other stuff and a group enrollment key if you want, but really, you just need a group name. Go with something easy--the manager's name, the department, whatever. Save. Click on the name of the group on the left and then click the button that says Add/remove users on the right.   Search for the students and their manager on the right, choose them and click Add. Now your group is populated.

If students self-enroll,  when you set up the groups you can add an enrollment key that was their boss's name or something and then tie the self enrollment method to automatically add to the group.

You can follow the same process to remove people from groups to.

In the Participants page, it will show you which groups and roles enrolled people are in. Once the groups are built, you can use the participants interface to add or remove people from groups. Just click the pencil and choose the group from the drop down and click the save icon. To delete, click the X next to the group. 

Make sure your course settings (and your activities) are set to separate groups as well--or all the managers will be able to see all the participants. 

On a side note--non-editing teacher usually has permission to access all groups--you might want to remove that permission. That way they only access theirs.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Henry Quinn -
I created two groups and populated the first one. If I understand correctly, this means that I can use the same course for two different organizations?

The reason I ask is because I'm not connecting the dots as to why I need to use groups. Originally I just needed a non-editing teacher to get an email after a second quiz attempt is failed by a student. A course is only accessible by one organization by virtue of enrollment. In other words, a single course can only be accessed by members of a single organization, which is achieved by enrolling the proper people into their respective course. No separation is needed within a course except for the difference between the Moodle Admin, Non-Editing Teacher, and Student roles (which already exists). Is the use of groups integral and necessary to getting failure emails or is it to achieve something different?

Also, it still appears that I can get emails for a quiz submission but not for the criteria I needed: e.g.:
- after failing a second time, non-editing teacher gets email
- quiz is locked until non-editing teacher manually unlocks
- if student fails again, it locks again, sends email. If student passes, they pass and no email is sent.

Getting emails every time a student passes or fails the first time is not needed.

by Henry Quinn -
In reply to Henry Quinn

by Melanie Scott -
In short, yes. (question 1)

You don't want both organization non-editing teachers to get ALL notifications. Organization 1 should not see results for students in Organization 2. This is why you would use groups.

An email will send regardless of attempt number or status. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to separate that--teachers/non-editing get submission messages either via email or internal messaging regardless of attempt number or status. There might be a way to include something about attempt number and grade BUT you would have to do some serious work on modifying the message. Moodle docs does not include any info on those particular settings--only including links to look at results.