Is it possible to automatically re-post when a new group is created?

Is it possible to automatically re-post when a new group is created?

by Chris Swinney -
Number of replies: 1

Hi all. 

I have been battling with trying to set up a method to work with Interviewees via a Moodle course. I have tried several different activities (such as an assignment, free text quiz, journal, dialogue etc), but I'm falling short. 

The scenario is that we have multiple fictitious customer issues that Interviewees (students) need to respond to. They would do this as a freeform text response. The "customer" (interviewer - teacher) may then respond to the interviewee, so create a threaded discussion. 

Obviously, all interviewees should be private and not see other answers.

Whilst we have made use of the assignment for the most part, viewing multiple attempts as a threaded discussion in order to understand and grade the entire conversation is quite difficult. The forum seems like a sensible place to have a threaded discussion around a given topic, plus in v3.8, you can now grade using advanced grading. 

However, while you can create single user groups and even post a question to all current groups, the question is not re-posted automatically to groups that are created later. Further, if you post to "All Participants" and the forum is set to "Separate Groups", the users can't respond to the question, and setting the forum to "Visible groups" allow interviewees to see posts from other users, neither of which is desirable.

If there was a way to automatically re-post the question when a new group is added to the course, this might resolve my issue, but I guess this is simply not a thing (unless anyone knows of a clever plugin – I do not think my development skills are up to this task).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Swinney

Re: Is it possible to automatically re-post when a new group is created?

by Chris Swinney -
I think I have worked around this by using the Forum description for the customer scenario, and then use the "Each person post one discussion" forum type, so each user then post in response to the description. With individual groups of individual users, this works well, although I am still stumped as to how to hide the grades from the interviewees (which was actually the reason I started down the idea of using a forum - see https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=394830)