Forum feature question

Forum feature question

by Rob Frank -
Number of replies: 4

Is there an option to require a student to first post or respond to a post before making the other responses visible?

In terms of grading in 3.8, is it possible to automate the grading based on several criteria? For example, word Count, number of posts or responses?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Frank

Re: Forum feature question

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello. Yes, it is possible to do your first request by using the Question and answer forum type. See the documentation on Forum activity
Regarding grading, grades have to be manually awarded but you can have a forum marked as 'complete' for a student based on their number of posts or responses - that then shows a tick next to that activity and is visible in an activity completion report.
In reply to Rob Frank

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Your second question always produces a "trigger" in me.

So, would I get a high grade if I posted this same response multiple times, with the words "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."

The only way to accurately catch these kinds of posts is to have a human read and grade them.

If someone wants simple grading, without reading, simply go into the single item grade book item and give all students the same grade. (I know, you are thinking "but some students didn't say anything," and I would respond with "is the above passage saying something?")
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Rob Frank -
Rick, I actually meant to add some explanation to my original post specifically for you smile.

I have read your previous posts. I should have explained that the auto-grade is a tool. It allows for the basic mechanics of the requirements to be checked off and then it can be reviewed by the instructor. For us it’s critical since many courses allow for rolling start dates and auto-graded forums will allow for the students work to trigger a review by the instructor. I do appreciate your views and passion concerning the need for instructors to engage in and review forums.
In reply to Rob Frank

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Okay, no problem.

So, forum posts get emailed to everyone, including the instructor. You might consider this as a way to trigger a review by the instructor.

Also, you can always use the Advanced Search tool. This tool shows posts by most recent date, and it shows if a post has not yet been rated. The instructor, if desired, could read and rate posts as viewed, or they can click on "see post in context" and then read the post, well, "in context" along with others. This is probably what I would do if I was in your instructors' situation.