Is it possible to migrate to another hosting provider?

Is it possible to migrate to another hosting provider?

by amine brahim -
Number of replies: 7
and my moodle site is not accessible for the moment , it seems that the hosting provider has stoped its service but i have always acces to my panel on the lqhosting.com

is it possible to migrate to another hosting provider ?

please help me

Average of ratings: -
In reply to amine brahim

Re: is it possible to migrate to another hosting provider?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Oho, that was on very short notice https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=394382#p1590172 !

You need three things to migrate a Moodle site to another machine. See https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Moodle_migration.

P.S. This is not a performance issue. I changed the subject line so that the thread could be split and moved to the Installation and upgrade forum.
In reply to amine brahim

Re: Is it possible to migrate to another hosting provider?

by James Steerpike -

Download everything off that server immediately!

Migration is only possible if you have data to migrate - so get your database dumps and course backups before they disappear!

In reply to James Steerpike

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by James Steerpike -
I think the site backup instructions are inadequate. I can't see any mention of moving backups off site. In a case where the host stops providing with little or no notice, all your backups disappear down the same digital drain as your installation. I speak here from experience - if I hadn't occasionally manually downloaded course backups to my home computer, I would have lost weeks of work by 300 students a year or two back.
Once bitten, twice shy. I will add my site backup script to the Backup and Restore thread in case they are useful to others on cloud based Linux servers.
In reply to James Steerpike

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I think that page (rightly or wrongly) implies a certain level of pre-requisite knowledge with regards to server maintenance... Perhaps a better page to link for beginners would be this one... Site_Backup_for_Low-tech_Users
In reply to Jon Witts

by James Steerpike -
it does refer to off site backups - a plus. The problem with the low tech approach is it relies on logging on and manually carrying out actions. To be effective, one would need to log on every single day or chances are, when the backup is needed, it is a week or more out of date. That was my backup strategy once - download course backups. When the host just disappeared I was fortunate my backup was only a couple of days old. Still I had to explain to my students two days of their work had to be redone. Automated daily offsite backups now give me peace of mind.
it is great to see more people installing Moodle but unless they are prepared to step up to the level of knowledge required to look after a LAMP server, Moodleclou is where they are best suited.