How to create restricted teacher role

How to create restricted teacher role

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Not sure this is the correct forum for my post.

On my Moodle online test site I want to create a "restricted teacher role" with the following permissions and restrictions. There is only one test course on that site.

permissions

create questions & quizzes & edit / delete own questions & quizzes

create H5P activities & edit/delete own H5P activities

... plus maybe create a few other Moodle activities

restrictions

prevent edit/delete any course activities not created by the user(s) with restricted teacher role

Problem: if I allow "Turn editing on", that user can do anything.

Question: what is the best solution? create that new role based on non-editing teacher and ADD permissions or based on editing teacher and remove permissions?

I'm sure I had created exactly that restricted role a few years ago, but have lost it.

Joseph

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: How to create restricted teacher role

by Dave Emsley -
I'd duplicate NON-Editing Teacher and add permissions as you go.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm making progress...

Created "restricted teacher" role based on the non-editing teacher archetypal role. From now on RT.

Add "manage activities" permission for the test course. Necessary, as otherwise RT cannot create their own activities.

For those few activities I want to allow RT to create, add permission, e.g. for quiz,
Activity: Quiz Add a new quizmod/quiz:addinstance ALLOW

This works fine. Now for the more tricky bit. I do not want RT to tamper with the sample activities I have already created (as admin) on my test site. The only way I found to do this is to edit each of those activities one by one and remove permissions.

Example for Glossary:

Create new entriesmod/glossary:write Inherit (Allow) Allow -> Prevent
Manage activitiesmoodle/course:manageactivities    Inherit (Allow) Allow -> Prevent
Create new entriesmod/glossary:write Inherit (Allow) Allow -> Prevent
etc.

This is rather tiresome! Lots of clicks and never sure to remember them all!

A very useful feature in my use case would be the possibility to declare an entire Section of a Course as forbidden to edit by non-editing teachers RT.

This would save a lot of time!

I'm not the only one to maintain a Moodle test site and to wish to allow a visitor with a restricted teacher role to do certain things while restricting editing of others!

Some (but not all) of the Moodle activities have a useful own permission, as:

Edit your own questionsmoodle/question:editmine

Activity: Forum Delete own posts (within deadline)mod/forum:deleteownpost

Maybe there should be more of those...

by Joseph Rézeau -
For my restricted teacher role (RT) I want to remove the permission to view/edit the Course completion page at mytestsite/moodle/course/editdefaultcompletion.php
When editing this role's permission, I use filter "completion" and click all the "forbid" buttons, but RT still can view & edit that page in my test course. What am I missing?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Found a workaround for my test site / test course.
Logged in as admin, in course settings -> Enable completion tracking -> no

by Joseph Rézeau -
On my test site I have enabled Manage activities for the RT role. In each of my sample activities & resources I have restricted permissions for RT.
The only exception I found so far is that the Label resource does not have Permissions settings!

Re: Label resource and permissions settings

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Joseph,

I noticed in the documentation Label module settings that it mentions:

'If you are using the Boost theme then once you have saved your label, other settings such as Locally assigned roles, Permissions and Filters may be accessed from the gear menu top right of the label .'

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Label resource and permissions settings

by Joseph Rézeau -
Thanks for the useful info, Helen. Actually this is the route to follow:
Turn editing on and go to the Label and click:
Edit
Edit settings
Click on the gear menu top right of the label
which gives you access to a further settings menu, including Permissions, etc.
---
Found out this is slightly different from other activities / resources, because the label text is not clickable, of course!