Integrated Google calendar not visible to students

Integrated Google calendar not visible to students

by Catherine Mclean -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I'm using Moodle 3.6 on a Windows 10 machine and using Chrome as my web browser. 

I am trying to embed a Google calendar into a label on a Moodle course area. 

I have the login details for the Google calendar and changed (what I thought were) the relevant settings. The calendar is publicly available (although I'm sure there's a way of turning this off but still sharing with non-Google users). 

I initially used the embed code from the 'integrate calendar' settings and although myself and other teachers on the course could see it, the students could not. 

Then I tried to customise the 'integrate calendar' codes which gave me a personal iframe code. Again, I and other teachers could see it, but the students could not. 

I must also say that the Moodle label I created is visible to students - it is not hidden. 

Is anyone au fait with Google calendars and embedding them in Moodle that could help please? 

Many thanks

Catherine

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Catherine Mclean

Re: Integrated Google calendar not visible to students

by Catherine Mclean -
I should have also added that when I login as a student I can't see the calendar. However when I change my role to student, I can.

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Catherine,

There may be something blocking the embed code in Moodle, causing this to be invisible to students. Have you considered adding the calendar's share url to the course's calendar subscriptions? There's a nice instructional video on this from Titus Learning to help. This was helpful to me althought Google's UI for the calendar has been updated since making this video:

In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Catherine Mclean -
Thanks for responding Joost.
I did try integrating the calendar URL into the Moodle calendar block - but the academics involved did not like the aesthetic 'look' of it and wanted it to appear embedded in the main content, looking like a Google calendar, rather than as a Moodle block.
Catherine

by C Behan -
Hi Catherine,

In recent versions of Moodle, using the 'log in as' feature can block certain items from displaying such as embedded videos. I suspect that is the issue here. If you either get a real student to log in and check, or create a test student account and actually log in with a username and password - that will tell you if students really can or cannot see your embedded calendar.

Catherine
In reply to C Behan

by Catherine Mclean -
Thanks for this. It sounds very likely. I'll ask a 'real' student to login and check.
Thanks again.
Catherine