Welcome Letter

Welcome Letter

by Melanie Mornard -
Number of replies: 3

When I first started using Moodle back in 2009 I seem to remember that there was a way to automatically include a Welcome Letter to students enrolling in a course.  Their username and password was inserted into the letter from their enrollment page.  I haven't had a need to send this letter until now.  Is one available?  If so, I sure can't find it.

Can anyone enlighten me if one is there, and if not how do you handle it?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Melanie Mornard

Re: Welcome Letter

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello there. I think what you might mean is the welcome message you can send when students self enrol. In this documentation Self enrolment scroll down to the section on sending a welcome message to new users. Hopefully that will help.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Melanie Mornard -
Thank you, Mary, that was what I was looking for. I was hoping there would also be an automatic message for manual enrollments, but such is life.
In reply to Melanie Mornard

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Your not the first person to ask for this feature, Melanie. I am sure that this feature request has to be somewhere in the Tracker system. If not, consider creating one.

I use self-enrollment along with the standard email method, which works fine for me.

If I was doing manual enrolments, I would probably just have a form email (in my client email system) that I would send to the new students. I do send a Welcome email to all my students at the beginning of the semester, using this approach. My Welcome email provides students the enrollment key for them to register (i.e., get into) for the course. Once they register for the course, Moodle automatically sends them an acknowledgment email via this Moodle interal email approach that Mary described.