Getting started with Moodle

Getting started with Moodle

by Michael Edmeston -
Number of replies: 4

Hi

This is a very basic question - can one downlaod Moodle on their home computer and use it as an app to independently create courses (in other words use it virtually when online), or is Moodle really used for larger organisations? On the download instructions, I note they mention servers etc, and it goes into technical jargon, which makes me wonder how in fact Moodle works for someone wanting to use it as an individual?

Look forward to feedback.

Thanks.

Michael

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Edmeston

Re: Getting started with Moodle

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes - but I wonder if you are clear why you want to do this?

There are 'one click' versions of Moodle on the download page that let you try out Moodle. They come packaged up with all the server software that's required. You can use them to evaluate Moodle and also to create course content that you can export (backup and restore) on a 'production' Moodle site. As Moodle is essentially collaborative (teachers and students) it doesn't make a lot of sense beyond that to have your own copy of Moodle.

by James Steerpike -
Many teachers use it to supplement class work or for homework assignments for a single class. There really is no need to download and install it. To see if it is what you want, go to this demo site. 
If suitable you can have a free hosted site for up to 50 students here.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Others here on Moodle.org are giving you some good guidance.

Simple answer, YES.  On your local computer, however, you are pretty much talking about an experimental Moodle, not one that you would use to deliver courses to students (in general.)

I run a local Moodle installation along with my "production" Moodle, which is on a server.  Whenever I want to experiment and learn, even create courses and test banks, I do this on my local computer.  Yes, course created on your local computer could eventually be moved to a server.

I will be giving a presentation on this "local installation" method at this year's GlobalMoot19, in Spain.  I plan to produce a video, since I have only 7 minutes for my presentation.  Once produced, I always share these videos.  Yes, everything you want to know about installing a local copy of Moodle on your PC or Mac, in 7 minutes.  (Well, not everything, but as much as I can squeeze into 7 minutes.)