Moodle Checklist Activity

Moodle Checklist Activity

by Kim Watts -
Number of replies: 3

Hello

I'm using the Checklist activity in Moodle to list a number of 'events'.  The idea is students will check the item in the list to register their own attendance, then the teacher will go in and confirm their attendance View Progress > Edit Checks.

Ideally what we would like is for Moodle to automatically award points based on their attendance.  So for example student one attends lesson one, it's confirmed by the teacher and Moodle auto awards 10 points to that student.

When the student reaches 70 points (have attended 7 events) they will then be awarded a badge to say that have passed that section.

So my questions are:

• In the checklist feature is there any way of auto awarding points based on x number of confirmed attendances?
  • If the above isn't possible can the data collated by the checklist be downloaded in a CSV format?
  • Or, is there a way for a teacher to manually capture points in Moodle which would then auto award badges as an when conditions (70 points, 7 events) have been met?

I hope I've been clear enough smile Thank you so much in advance.

Thanks

Kim 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kim Watts

Re: Moodle Checklist Activity

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
If you are referring to the Checklist plugin by Davo, I don't think so. But maybe Davo will reply.

Typically, points are awarded to tasks upon "completion" and not upon a student simply clicking on some task, which I interpret as "attendance" from your post. I don't think that there is any way to Moodle to do this "attendance" grading method that you describe.

This kind of "attendance" seems to border on the time of "can't Moodle report activity time." Do you not fear that once students realize that simply clicking will get the points that they will simply click, and not "learn?" Are you simply trying to encourage clicks, and not learning?

Of course, you could write some custom SQL to find out how many times a student clicked on something, and the results of this query could be sent to a csv file.

I don't use badges so I can't help with that question.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Kim Watts -

Thanks Rick

Yes I completely agree with you but being as it's a 'non-mandatory' module and the teacher can verify their attendance due to having digital card readers  (which they will know about) we feel it will be ok to pursue.

Thanks so much for your reply smile

Kim 

In reply to Kim Watts

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

If you don't find a feature or plugin, the custom SQL might not be that hard to write.