Please help me connect the dots

by Brendon Hatcher -
Number of replies: 2

Hi

I am running Moodle 3.7.2
I have registered an account on badgr.io
I have created an issuer
I have added the badgr credentials to my Moodle

I can create a site or course badge in Moodle, and I can create a badge on badgr.io.
I don't understand the relationship between badges on Moodle and badges on badgr.

I can award a badge to a user in Moodle.
I don't understand how the badge in Moodle ends up in the student's backpack on badgr.

My Moodle is for my company staff.
I want to be able to display each person's badges in the company HR system.
I can fetch the Moodle badge data via Moodle API.
I can fetch the Badgr badge data via the Badgr API.
However, I don't know how I would know the badge holder's identity in order to retrieve their backpack.

Any clarification or pointers would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Brendon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brendon Hatcher

Re: Badges in Moodle and on Badgr

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Brendon,

I don't understand the relationship between badges on Moodle and badges on badgr.

Assuming you've enabled Badgr as the active external backpack on your site (as described in the documentation Badges settings), then any users on your site who have an account on badgr.io can choose to connect to their Badgr backpack and then add any Moodle badges they have earned to their Badgr backpack.

If users have earned badges elsewhere and have added them to their Badgr backpack, they can choose to make them public in their backpack and then display them in their Moodle profile.

Thus, Badgr is a place for users to save their badges to, then if they wish they can display badges earned elsewhere in their Moodle profile.

I don't understand how the badge in Moodle ends up in the student's backpack on badgr.

As well as enabling Badgr as the active external backpack on your site, the student needs to connect to their Badgr backpack by entering their Badgr user account email and password (also described in the documentation Badges settings) and then add (or push) their Moodle badge to their backpack.