I am undertaking the task of fitting a Wiki module into Moodle. The group that I will have using Moodle need to be able to work together on documents both as planning operations and as assignments. Wikis seem to be the best web-based choice for this.
Features of Wikis:
- Group document creation.
- Non-HTML formatting controls.
- Automatic document versioning.
- Undoing last changes.
- Displaying similar pages.
- Ability to 'lock' documents.
- Ability to set 'read-only' function.
- (Any Others?)
Nice To Haves:
- Comments on Wiki pages.
- Comments on changes (versions).
My cursory investigation leads me to believe that ErfurtWiki will be easier to integrate into Moodle than PHPWiki. ErfurtWiki, or ewiki, has been built as a library rather than a stand-alone application. It is OpenSource and has many plug-ins which can be integrated or not.
If anyone has any information that can affect this choice, please post it here.
Some Moodle specific functionality I will look into:
- Visibility - Can we define a wiki at a global, course and topic level? In other words, can a wiki be limited to a topic such that it will only link to other wikis in that topic. Same with course. An can we make it global so that it can link to all wikis (or, in fact can we prevent this).
- Any Others?