Image (and other file) Inclusion

Image (and other file) Inclusion

by Mike Churchward -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I think we should look at allowing user uploads into a wiki using the exiting file management system. This will get replaced eventually (see the DMS discussion), but should always have the same API.

It would be nice if the HTML editor gave the user the same options as it does for the teacher -- that is, provide me a list of images I could select when I click on the image button. Right now, all I can do is specify a URL.

I haven't played with this level of the code yet. Would that be possible with what we have now?

mike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Churchward

Re: Image (and other file) Inclusion

by Ger Tielemans -
Yes and no, In a Wiki you tell a story on a page. The attachements on tht page are related to that story. I wonder how you keepoverview if you give up this self-organising mechanism. (But why not give it a try and expereience it? glimlach )
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Andy Fundinger -
In EWiki each attachment is a seperate page in the database, it is associated to the page it is 'attached to' by a metadata record that specifies that page's name as the 'section.'  The FileDownload and ImageGallery page plugins may or may not heed that section restriction allowing users to view attachments separately from their pages if they so desire.

As for the general question of how to keep an overview of a wiki, the key I've found is to watch UpdatedPages and add links to keep the system together.  The SiteMap may also be useful.... which reminds me to release the new SiteMap plugin.

AndyFundinger
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Andy Fundinger -
ErfurtWiki (EWiki) has two hooks to allow the use of an alternate file storage system.  All that is required is that it store the data and retrieve it by id and meta data.  The hooks, binary_store and binary_get are used by the binary_store plugin (plugins/lib/binary_store) to store large files as in the file system rather than the database, but the plugin may set it's own criteria.  I use this plugins in my corporate web site to handle downloads of multi-MB files so I can vouch for the feasibility.  Images and other files are transparently stored based solely on their size.

On the other hand, I have a major rewrite/addition to the file system on my todo list (http://erfurtwiki.sourceforge.net/?id=NewFileSystem) and part of that will be at least a relocation of our stored files to remove the use of binary_store.  How solid and seperable is your file management system?  Could I use that or a variant of it?  Where would I find the DMS discussion?

AndyFundinger