Administrator cannot see number of attempts

Administrator cannot see number of attempts

by Nadun Rathnayaka -
Number of replies: 12

Hi i need a help to solve this issue.

with ongoing exams, site administrator cannot track the number of attempts for the quiz.

there are no such number, only the quiz guide and attempt quiz button.

also once a student finishes the exam, in the submission status it says "Not answered yet" even though student has given the answers.

Why this happens?

Attachment screenshot 1.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nadun Rathnayaka

Re: Administrator cannot see number of attempts

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I wonder if anyone has taken this quiz yet?

Here is an example of what I see after students have begun taking a quiz.  Clicking on "Attempts: 100" will take me to a lot of information about the attempts.

If only the instructor or administrator has taken this quiz, I don't believe that they will be registered as an Attempt.  Log in as a student and take this quiz.

Attachment attempts.jpg
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Nadun Rathnayaka -
Thank you very much Rick.
My other issue is related to quizzes. When a student start the attempt, navigation bar indicates answers wont get saved. after the submission of all attempts, in submission status window the same massage appears that answers were not saved. but still when you click submit all and finish, all answers get saved without an issue.
Why this happens? this makes me unsure what if answers actually wont get saved...
i tried out pasting the popup window link in other tab. in that case that tab indicated answers were saved. the issue arise anly with the popup window.
please help me to sort this out...

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I've just spotted the key line in that screen-grab: "This quiz uses fault-tolerant mode."

I don't know how reliable that plugin (https://moodle.org/plugins/quizaccess_offlinemode) is any more (although it has extensive automated tests, and they pass).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Nadun Rathnayaka -
Dear Tim,
What would you recommend?
Can we remove that plugin? Will it cause any issues further more?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You don't need to un-install the plugin. In each quiz, there is an option to turn it on/off (under 'Extra restrictions on attempts'). I suggest that you turn it off unless you have tested it very carefully and convinced yourself it works.

And, if you are not using it at all, it should be safe to uninstall.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Nadun Rathnayaka -
Yes tim exactly that was the issue.
So what make me worry about is if i disable it, student can't proceed with their answers and they have to wait till the connection is restored. Do you recommend any other plugin which student still can proceed with quiz even with a temporary failure of network. a plugin which can store data which was fed by student while offline and, feed that data as soon as the network is available?
Our version is 3.7.1+

by Tim Hunt -
This plugin is the only one that is aviable to provide this sort of function. The only problem is that it is not very well supported any more. (I created it for an Open Unviersity project several years ago that was never continue. So we don't use it ourselves any more.)

So, I have not yet tested if this plugin works with Moodle 3.7. I don't think anything has changed in Moodle that I would expect to break it, but you can never be sure until you have done the testsing.

The only good thing is that when I made this plugin, I wrote a lot of detailed automated tests.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Nadun Rathnayaka -
Thanks a lot Tim.
Ya it makes sense. For now we'll keep this plugin without uninstalling. i think it would be better since we face lots of network failures time to time so it might affect online exam conduction.
If you going to develop advanced plugin which can do the same, please be kind enough to let me know.
I'll get back to you soon.
Cheers!
In reply to Tim Hunt

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Tim, does the latest version of Moodle Desktop provide this kind of functionality for quiz and assignment? I have a pocket of students who frequently have Wifi issues, so I was going to recommend they use the Moodle desktop app instead of going to Moodle on a browser. Am I thinking correctly here?

In reply to John Provasnik

by Tim Hunt -
Interesting thought. The answer is "It depends" (on what question types and quiz settings you use.

It is worth investigating.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Nadun Rathnayaka -
Dear Tim,
As we have expected we have troubles in conducting exams.
Issue is once we set "Yes" under Experimental Fault Tolerant Mode, when a student submit the responses in response summary it indicates "not yet answered" for each and every question.
But actually the answer is there. but students begins to complain that this feature makes them unsure about the safety of their responses.

Can you please suggest an option for this? We have 3.7.1+ version.
Waiting to hear from you soon.

by Nadun Rathnayaka -
We are really facing this issue now. whenever there is a internet connection drop, question paper gets disappeared when they move to next question through navigation.
Once we regain the connection, the answer they have typed during the connection lost period will be lost.

Please help us to resolve this immediately...