Steps to upgrade from Moodle 3.6.1 (Build: 20181205) to Moodle 3.7.1+

Steps to upgrade from Moodle 3.6.1 (Build: 20181205) to Moodle 3.7.1+

by Dragon DF -
Number of replies: 2
Hello guys, I read a few others topic before.

I read the documentation here:
https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Upgrading

1.  I'd like to know if I can do the upgrade how it is described in the documentation from Moodle 3.6.1 (Build: 20181205) to Moodle 3.7.1+ or it is better to upgrade to 3.7.1 stable.

2. I'd like to know the best practise: if to upgrade plugins before or after the upgrade.

3. Other doubt: if I will MIGRATE the server (from server A to server B), what will be the difference?
I imagine to install the newest version in server B and after that try to upload the files of the server A.
But I could read that this is not the best way to do it in documentation. 

If I am not wrong, the best practise would be:
1. Create a database in server B
2. Upload files of the OLD version (server A) to server B.
3. Unzip the newest version that will overwrite the old files.

Is this correct?

Thank you in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dragon DF

Re: Steps to upgrade from Moodle 3.6.1 (Build: 20181205) to Moodle 3.7.1+

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
1. Doesn't matter. I tend to go for the latest weekly (the + version), some people are horrified at the thought.

2. I tend to create a build of Moodle based on the core code plus all the correct versions of the plugins. Then I apply this code to a test upgrade (a copy of my site). But, it doesn't really matter, Moodle is quite robust about this.

3. There's no point installing Moodle and then overwriting with files from the other install. As "installing" creates the files and database tables you are going to upload (and hence overwrite). However, a database is not files as such,. Read Moodle_migration