self registration with out any approval from admin

self registration with out any approval from admin

by sivaprasad burugupalli -
Number of replies: 11

In moodle is there any possibility to self register. with out any approval from admin and have to directly login to the account. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to sivaprasad burugupalli

Re: self registration with out any approval from admin

by Ray Hinton -
Hi Sivaprasad,

From the sounds of it, you could be talking about two separate things:

1. Creating an account
  2. Enrolling user in a course
These can be accomplished through email-based self-registration and self enrollment, respectively. If you can describe in a little more detail what experience you want your users to have, I could recommend different settings for these.

If you want people to authenticate based on some other source of user information (another LMS or student information system, LDAP, etc.), then you might want to look into other authentication methods. This would help you solve #1. If you want that system to also dictate what courses a student can enroll in (#2), then you would want to investigate the corresponding enrollment methods.

Good luck!

- Ray
In reply to Ray Hinton

Hi Ray Hinton sir,

I want users to signup to moodle account by self. I tried email based self registration, but unless approved by the admin, users can't  login to their account immediately after they signup, after approval of admin only they can login to their account.  I am trying for directly login to their account with out any admin approval(is there any possibility to login directly with our approval).

Thanks,
sivaprasad

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
When I use email-based registration, I also give my students an "enrollment key." My courses are locked since I don't want everyone in the world logging into my Moodle. You might consider this approach, and give your students this "enrollment key" via email, or posted somewhere.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ray Hinton -
Hi Sivaprasad,

Ah I see. You are correct, the administrator should not have to be involved in the email-based self-registration workflow! To clarify, can you please tell me if your users are receiving the email with the verification link?

Or, do you not want the verification link? I could understand if that does not feel "direct" enough. In that case, email-based self-registration does not meet your need by definition, so you might consider other authentication options. 

Where are your users coming from? Is there some external system that they can authenticate against? Based on that, you could possibly use one of the other authentication methods, or an authentication plugin from the plugins database (all standard warnings about using a non-core plugin).

You might already be considering this, but just in case: you will want to have a plan for dealing with spam accounts, or otherwise making sure that the accounts on your site actually belong there. The verification email is a barrier, for example, and obviously having people authenticate against another system that you control, would help exclude random outsiders. Rick makes a good point about using enrollment keys to help with this during the enrollment step.

So, can you describe your users a bit more?

- Ray

In reply to Ray Hinton

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I agree - it is not normal that the admin should have to confirm accounts created by email-based self registration, so please let us know your answer to Ray's question about do the students receive the email? The admin does have a 'confirm' link but should only use it if the accounts aren't received (or usually go into spam and the users don't realise it) or if the email is not a genuine email.
There is the No authentication option in Site admin / Plugins /Authentication but this is very very insecure.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ray Hinton

HI Ray Hinton sir,
i am searching for students self register by themselves(for approval it should not come to admin) ,  after registering they should directly login to their account. If they want to enroll to any of the course then paypal payment will be open for them, after paying that only they will be enrolled to course. is there a possibility in doing this sir.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
As I said, you can use the No Authentication option in Site admin / Pugins /Authentication, but you need to think carefully. Also, by default they should not need admin approval to create accounts as long as they receive the email to confirm it. You haven't yet said whether this is the case or not, and how exactly your admin has to approve accounts.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by James Steerpike -
I think my students rarely use email. I even wonder if they have a working email account as they use messaging services constantly. It is a generation thing.
i think I will use the "no authentication" method.  The only drawback is I may have to weed out some spam accounts but this should be easy. I will give instructions to create an account and enroll in class. Each student uses their school ID number (around 10 digits) and any spurious accounts will stand out once the school is organised enough to give me a class list. Once enrolled in the first week, I turn off the option.
If email accounts are not properly configured, password changes won't work but I can live with that. No worse than students being unable to enroll because the email confirmation goes astray.

by Ray Hinton -

Hi Sivaprasad,

Based on the way you have described your situation, I recommend that you try to think about Account creation (Authentication) and Enrollment separately, for now.

As with any experience that you would create on the internet, you should try to understand every single step that your users will go through while they register (Authenticate). I know it can feel confusing or even tedious, but it will help you a lot. Please make sure you read the documentation, and tell us where your experience is different from the documented expectations (we all started there!).

Authentication/Account creation

You mentioned that you do not want your administrator to be responsible for confirming accounts. That is exactly how the "email-based self-registration" plugin is intended to be used. Instead, users can confirm their own accounts by clicking on a link that is sent to the email address that they provided during registration. This is considered a security measure, and it is a fairly common way for other web applications to handle self-registration. You probably had to do the same thing when you signed up for an account here at Moodle.org!

Are you sure that you do not want your users to do this? Try creating a test account on your system, and observe all the steps carefully. Users should be fairly comfortable with this workflow, if they've ever signed up for an account on other popular websites.

Perhaps your users do not have email addresses. However, you mention PayPal too, for which I believe that they need an email address.

One possible problem could be that the confirmation emails are going into people's Spam/Junk folders. That is inconvenient, but I would consider it a success, for now. You could try to solve the Spam problem later (read some links at the bottom of that documentation page), but it can get very technical. Again, I think that general users are familiar with this scenario (things going to Spam), so you should just make sure that you remind them to check their Spam folder, in the meantime.

As Mary mentions, other Authentications options exist, but you should make sure you understand the tradeoffs.

Enrollment

There is a PayPal enrollment plugin that you could use, and there is a substantial documentation page for testing it and setting it up. I do not have a lot of experience with it, but I imagine you will need to work through a lot of prerequisites and testing before you open up the process to your users.

Alternatively, you could choose to not use the PayPal enrollment method, and use a simpler option like Rick mentioned above. You could give people an "enrollment key" while they pay for a course through PayPal. Here's a forum thread of people discussing something similar.