How to integrate Paypal into Moodle

How to integrate Paypal into Moodle

by daro smith -
Number of replies: 25

Hi all,

I am very new to Moodle. I managed to install Moodle on my local server and webhosting server, and to manage some basic settings.

I am developing an Elearning plateforme which will takes payments from users before they can enroll in the course.

Could you please help with step by step guidance/instruction on how to integrate Paypal into Moodle. Do I need to pay for a third party plugin?

Many thanks in advance.

Daro

Average of ratings: -
In reply to daro smith

Re: How to integrate Paypal into Moodle

by Jason Becker -

Hello, Daro!

Welcome to Moodle!  I am new as well and looking to start my own e-learning platform as well, offering communication and sport management courses.  What types of courses are you looking to offer? And, how much are you looking to charge?  This is the one question that I'm trying to figure out as well.  Also, what web host are you currently using?  I'm looking to use HostGator, which I've been told is very good.

In terms of Paypal, I think the plug-in is within Moodle, as far as I know, but I could be wrong.  This is something that I'll have to check on as well, because I'm looking to take the same route as yourself. 

Good luck and I definitely would love to stay in touch throughout the process.  Talk to you soon. 

In reply to Jason Becker

by daro smith -

Hi Jason,

I have found the Paypal plugin in the Enrolement. It seems to be working, but not tested it yet.

My question is I would like to have an info about a course first when users click on a course link instead of directing users to Paypal button page? Where can I customise? Hoping an experienced developer will help us out?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Daro

In reply to daro smith

by Jason Becker -

Daro,

I agree here!  Having an info section attached to your course before payment is definitely helpful for students.  However, since I haven't used Moodle yet, I don't know the answer to that....sorry. 

Anyways, what type of courses are you deciding to offer?  And, have you set a payment price yet?  Just curious.  Talk to you soon.

In reply to Jason Becker

by daro smith -

Hi Mr Becker,

Social care. It is part of my small charity organisation. It wont cost much and less than £50 per course. The income is used only for maintaining the site. we dont expect to earn any money for this as it is not a commercial site, and we have only a couple of courses available to out local community. But this will be a great learning curve experience for us!

Any thing else you want to know?

Cheers

Daro

In reply to daro smith

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Daro,

Rather than linking direct to the course from your front-page, why not build a set of pages which each has introductory information about the courses you are hosting. You could link to these pages from the front page and then to the individual paid courses from the summary pages? Once a student has paid and enrolled on a paid course it should then appear in their 'my courses' navigation block so they don't have to keep going through the summary page every time.

Not sure if that's a suitable solution for you, but it may be one option.

HTH

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by daro smith -

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for this. You mean if I have three courses to offer, I should build a front page listing all three courses together with their summaries displayed? And when users click on any link of those courses, it will direct them to the paypal payment page? This was what I was thinking about after reading a development book. Because I am very new to Moodle, I have no clue what option is the best for hosting three courses?

In the above option you mentioned, is it possible set a login page so that users who have paid for one of the courses can see all other courses available as well, not just the one they have paid?

Any more help is very appreciated?

Daro

In reply to daro smith

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I've found that you don't necessarily need to build additonal pages.  With some images and a little HTML you can list courses and purchasable items on the front page and use the default course descriptions to provide relevant info: http://courses.medinails.com is a site that I manage and it works pretty well.  We do also manage a Wordpress site for general information.  

In reply to Joseph Thibault

by daro smith -

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for the link. Yes it is quite simple Elearning.

However, I start to think that is it possible to develop and design a front page completely separate from the rest of the Moodle pages which contains the links to other Moodle pages, and/or non Moodle pages? Doing this way, I can develop the front page using any CMS system such as Joomla or Wordpress and keep Moodle pages having theme provided by Moodle.org.

Alternatively, I also like to pay for a beautiful Moodle theme. Can anyone give suggesstion/recommendation on where to get the best deals for Moodle theme?

Many thanks in advance.

Daro

In reply to daro smith

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Mike Walters does great work http://twitter.com/#!/red20twenty

also: newschoollearning.com has some fantastic theme developers

by daro smith -

Joseph,

Many thanks for the links. I ll have a look later.

cheers

daro

In reply to daro smith

by Stuart Mealor -

I've deleted the duplicate post you made in Business Uses forum.

The PayPal enrolment plugin works well with Moodle smile

Note that you don't always need to use this enrolment methods though.

For example, you could have a PayPal button (simple code) which is embedded in your page (even within the Course Description).

When the button is used to pay, it can supply the enrolment key as part of the receipt.

It's just an alternative idea smile

Stu

In reply to Stuart Mealor

by daro smith -

Hi Stuart,

Many thanks for your reply. Can you please give some guidance on how to do that; I like that option which allows users to click on the description and go to paypal payment page page straight. and I can set the price of the course on the front page for users to see; it is quite simple!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers

Daro

In reply to daro smith

by Stuart Mealor -

Hi Daro

If you already have a PayPal account you can access oline help for buttons (we use a business PayPal, but I guess it's the same for individuals users also).

However, you access some info, and a demo, here:

https://www.paypal.com/pdn-item

Stu

by Heidi Gartenberg -

Hi Joseph,

Very nice example of using the Front Page for courses that can be purchased with Paypal.  I would love to find some additional good examples of Moodle sites selling courses and haven't been able to come up with much on my own.  

If you or anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Heidi

In reply to Heidi Gartenberg

by Giovanni Ramos -

Hello, I know this is not the right forum, but i hope you can help me out.

So, this is the case, I want to use the Paypal enrollment method, so

When the user pay, does it get a password to login in the course??

or paypal just unlock the course automatically after paying?

I am asking you this, because in case the system gives the user a password, how can I be sure the this user gives the password to someone else?  (I want to use self enrollment registration in moodle)

In reply to Jason Becker

by Mike Finney -

Just an FYI... we will have one the does all the functionality of the regular Paypal plugin.. but with subscriptions... in the next week. Hopefully this will be helpful to everyone. I will post here when it is available. PM me if you would be interested in this.

In reply to Mike Finney

by Mike Finney -

OK.. The Paypal Subscription plugin is done. It will allow you to choose between One Time Payment or Subscription. Will also allow you to set one price for initial payment and a different for ongoing subscription payment. It replaces your existing Paypal plugin. Unfortunately, we will have to recoup some costs for the moment, but here is the link if anyone is interested in purchasing it...

https://elightenment.qx.ly/b/Gi0A

In reply to daro smith

by Clark Sim -

Hi,

If you are still struggling with this, i have written a guide which I can happily send you.

C

In reply to Clark Sim

by Tim Chambers -

Hi- I'd love to read your guide re integrating PayPal in Moodle. Thanks for sharing!

In reply to Clark Sim

by David Dresner -

Would you be able to send me a copy too, struggling with the paypal. Thanx

In reply to Clark Sim

by Richard Bakos -

If you still have that guide around, I would be very interested in taking a look at it...

In reply to Clark Sim

by James Kirschberg -

I would also greatly appreciate if you could forward your guide.

Kind Regards,  Jim K.

In reply to Clark Sim

by Antonio Giganto -

I'm having so many problems understanding this pay pal thing, that i'd love to read your guide and, hopefully, find some answers.

Thank you very much

Antonio