File selection, size and attachments

File selection, size and attachments

by Séverin Terrier -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

There are several places where you use files (and file picker), including forum attachments, but also course description images, files resources...

The string used to indicate details for the user about file(s) he can use is "Maximum size for new files: {$a->size}, maximum attachments: {$a->attachments}" (maxsizeandattachments | core)

But i think this sentence is really forum oriented, where file used is really an attachment to a message. In other uses, i think using "files" would be better appropriate than "attachments", so "Maximum size for new files: {$a->size}, maximum files: {$a->attachments}"

What do you think ? Should i directly propose a change in the language string or create a tracker item for that ?

Related to that, i don't know exactly where the "Maximum size for new files: {$a->size}, maximum attachments: {$a->attachments}, overall limit: {$a->areasize}" (maxsizeandattachmentsandareasize | core) string is used, and if the same change should be done there.

Séverin

PS : for french reading people, see this discussion about the same topic

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Séverin Terrier

Re: File selection, size and attachments

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

As explained in the documentation about improving english language, i've proposed this fix in AMOS (linking back to this discussion).

Séverin

In reply to Séverin Terrier

Re: File selection, size and attachments

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks Séverin for your proposed language string improvements.

After reviewing the various places where the strings are used, it seems that some places e.g. forum and glossary have the area where you can add files labelled as 'Attachment' and other places e.g. assignment and database activity don't. Thus I agree that it's better to use the word 'files' than 'attachments'.

I also chatted with Mary about the strings and we came up with further small improvements to the wordings as follows:

Maximum file size: {$a->size}, maximum number of files: {$a->attachments}

Maximum file size: {$a->size}, maximum number of files: {$a->attachments}, maximum total size: {$a->areasize}

I have added the strings to the English fixes (en_fix) language pack, though if anyone has any ideas for further improvements, please let me know so I can edit them.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)