Many teachers the same course but the students only see the students the same teacher

Many teachers the same course but the students only see the students the same teacher

by Patty SV -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I'm new in moodle and I've seen this forum but I don't find the same problem-idea.

I need to define a course, with many lessons. This is easy, I think. But I need to enrol many teacher to this course and each teacher with their students.

I want that each teacher only see their students, their progress,... and their students only see the student of this teacher, not all the students of the course.

Can I do this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Patricia

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Patty SV

Re: Many teachers the same course but the students only see the students the same teacher

by Ray Hinton -
Hi Patricia,

That sounds like something you could do using Groups: https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Groups

Then teachers can choose to view particular groups in various contexts (forum, assignments, gradebook, etc.). However, if you want teachers to ONLY see their particular group (and not groups that belong to other teachers), you may need to tweak the Teacher role, or create a custom role and change some of the related capabilities, especially "Access all groups".

Once you create the groups and put the correct people in them, you also might need to configure how the groups are handled by the various activities.

It can get a little complex getting the settings to match exactly the experience that you are trying to create, so I hesitate to write too many details. There a lot of pages in Moodle Docs about Groups, so I would encourage you to browse through them and get some ideas. Let us know your progress!

- Ray
In reply to Ray Hinton

Re: Many teachers the same course but the students only see the students the same teacher

by Patty SV -
Hi Ray,

thanks in advance for your answer.

I'm going to explain the situation to explain my problem.

Some schools want to have the same theory in one place (lesson of moddle).
Some school has a teacher or more than one (one is the main).
Only the administrator can remove lessons, theory or other information but this information can never modify by teachers.
Every school is a group with one or more teachers.
The only thing teachers(main) can do is register the student of their own school, review the advance their students. The teacher can't view students of other schools.

When I assign the "non-editing teacher" role, the teacher can't register new students but If I assign the "teacher" role, the teacher can view all the students of all schools.

Could you help me with the permissions in order to make the last thing I want?

Thanks.
Patricia
In reply to Patty SV

by Ray Hinton -
Hi Patricia,

That sounds like a pretty common scenario. You have one course, with several teachers, and the students are divided among the teachers. You want teachers to only be able to interact with their students.

You also do not want the teachers to modify the course contents, which is a good reason to use the Non-editing Teacher role.

Can you please clarify exactly how students are being enrolled in the course?

When you mention that you want teachers to be able to register students from their school - do you mean enroll them in the course, using the Participants > Enroll users button and searching for people? I do not think there is a way to limit who appears through that search, since it is just searching every account on your site.

If that is the case, you might want to look into alternate enrollment methods:
  • you could have the students enroll themselves with a key that you give to them. You can make different keys that correspond to each group. https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Self_enrolment
  • you can enroll many students at the same time with a CSV. In this case, you would assign the Non-editing teacher role to teachers, and then you (the Moodle admin), would do one big enrollment with a CSV. If new people need to be enrolled, you (the admin) would need to add people. Or use this in combination with the enrollment key above. https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Upload_users
If that is not the problem, and you are only trying to restrict teachers from seeing information about students that are not in their group, then you could see about removing the accessallgroups capability from the Teacher or Non-editing teacher role in your course context (or sitewide).

In reply to Ray Hinton

by Patty SV -
Hi Ray,

thanks in advance for your big explanation.
Could you tell me if a teacher can create a new student without seeing all the students on the platform?
My problem isn't to enroll, I think. My problem is to know the way one teacher doesn't modify anything in the courses and don't see other groups but he/she has to create new students on their groups.

Is it possible?
In reply to Patty SV

by Ray Hinton -

Hi Patricia,

When you say "create a new student", do you mean "Add a new user"? https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Add_a_new_user

Also, can you clarify what you mean by "create new students on their groups"? "Create new students" sounds like making a user account at the site level (that is, nothing to do with the course). However, in your description, you mentioned it in the context of a course and groups. This makes me think you are talking about some type of enrollment, such as: https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Manual_enrolment

A bit more information: Adding a new user is controlled by the moodle/user:create capability. I did a test by creating a new Role that could be assigned at the System context, and used "ARCHETYPE: Teacher (non-editing)". If you Allow the moodle/user:create capability, and then assign that role to someone at the system context, then that user can use the Add a new user function. They will see an error after they create a user, but the user will be created correctly.

You can get rid of the error by also allowing the "moodle/user:delete" capability, but then they will have access to the "Browse list of users" page, which is exactly what you do not want.

Some other recommendations:

• I only used the non-editing Teacher archetype as a test. You might want to create the role from scratch, or remove other capabilities from your custom role, so that they cannot do other things that you do not intend (remember, you are assigning this at the System level, so they will have permission to do things across the whole site).
  • For the sake of convenience, you may with to also allow the "moodle/site:configview" capability, so that they can see the appropriate menu items in Administration (they will only see the items for which they have permission).
  • Since they are working on users, you might also want to look at moodle/user:update moodle/user:editprofile.

Anyway, I hope that is something for you to chew on. It sounds like you have a very specific workflow in mind, and some of these ideas might help you achieve that. Alternatively, if you have any kind of flexibility, you might want to think about where your workflow could be modified, to better reflect some of the ways that capabilities are divided in Moodle. I know that might not sound helpful, but I kindly ask you to consider this: "creating a user" is inherently an action that happens at the platform-level (site-level). Therefore, it is a bit of a challenge to give someone permissions at that level, while also completely blocking them from seeing other accounts at the platform-level. Not to say it is impossible, but I would think that someone who is adding users to a Moodle site, has a good business reason to know basic things about other users on the site.

I wish you luck! smile