Default grade for uploading document

Default grade for uploading document

by An Mo -
Number of replies: 6

Hi, I would like, to assign a default point grade to anyone who uploads a document. Is this possible?

Alternatively, is it possible to assign everyone the same grade on a question without reviewing each student one by one? 

THanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to An Mo

Re: Default grade for uploading document

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Have you consider downloading the grading worksheet and grading "offline?"  This would allow you to simply provide the same grade to everyone without looking at their work.  If a student didn't submit you would see this in the grading worksheet, and you could provide them a "0" instead of your default (100) points.  You can even provide the students their 100 points before the assignment is over, if you wanted to.

I never grade assignments one by one.  I always download the submittals, look at them outside of Moodle, grade them with the grading worksheet, and then upload the grading worksheet which then upgrades their grades.  Much faster than one by one.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by An Mo -

Hi, I tried your suggestion. The problem is that the spreadsheet does not tell me who uploaded or not, it just reports a missing grade for all.

In reply to An Mo

by Rick Jerz -

In the file, there should be columns for Full Name and Status.  The Full Name provides the student's name, and the Status will show if they uploaded, uploaded late, or did not upload.  The Grade column is blank until you enter a grade.  There is also a Maximum Grade that shows, so that you know what not to exceed.  The column for Feedback Comments is where I put my own comments.

I'll attach an example for one of my courses, with names removed.  You will see that I have graded some.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by An Mo -

Thanks for your reply. The file upload in my case is part of a larger quiz  with several numerical questions and multiple choice. My goal is to assign a basic grade for uploading and then give extra credit for answering questions correctly.

The Status column reports entries such as "completed" or "never sent" (sorry, this is a rough translation from the language the platform is provided by my institution), but this refers to the entire quiz's status, not the individual file upload "question".

If I download the spreadsheet I have no way to tell who uploaded the file - this is moot however since the file upload is mandatory in my settings.

In reply to An Mo

by Rick Jerz -

Okay, now I see.  Yes, having students upload files within a quiz presents its own problem.

You might still want to have a separate "upload your file" assignment outside of the quiz and not allow students to upload within the quiz.