Highlight of discussion threads on Moodle.org?

Highlight of discussion threads on Moodle.org?

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I have noticed that on Moodle.org that when I click on a person's post, that a light blue line circles the post that I am clicking on and the subsequent discussions.  I think that I like this feature, and I am wondering if this is only available on Moodle.org, if it is a feature that will soon become available in Moodle 3.7, or if it is a feature that I might already have in my Moodle 3.6 but I just need to enable it?  Your thoughts?

(A graphic showing this light blue line is attached.)

Attachment forums.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: Highlight of discussion threads on Moodle.org?

by John Provasnik -

Maybe it's dependent on your theme, but I'm using Moodle 3.4 and when I click "permalink" on any reply in a forum, the page reloads and that blue line is there. it's helpful for when I navigate up or down I can remember which reply was the one that I originally loaded the page to. 

Edit: I misunderstood - I see you mean a blue line around both the discussion and the reply. I've noticed this too (on my own Moodle site as well as here on moodle.org) - I don't know when it started happening. I thought it was a setting I had turned on in my browser (Chrome). I didn't realize it was other people too - I'd like to know if it's happening to others as well (because if it, I'd prefer it to not happen for my students). But I assume it's a browser thing...

In reply to John Provasnik

by Rick Jerz -

I tried on a fresh install of Moodle with Boost, and I do not get the lines.  Let's see if anyone else can help figure this out.

Which theme are you using, John?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by John Provasnik -

I'm using a custom built theme (based on bootstrap) however I cannot replicate the lines now. I am wondering it it was just on moodle.org after all - I'm on these forums daily and I guess was mixing it up with my own site. 

I feel like I've experienced this outside of moodle.org as well, but now I cannot recall where. 

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Try on the sandbox site demo.moodle.net - you will see them there when you reply to a discussion. Also see here from Using Forum

Forum post example

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rick Jerz -

Yes, so they occur in various places (moodles) but why?  Do I have to turn this feature on?  Is it a feature of a certain theme?

This feature does not seem to exist on my MoodleCloud.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

It does exist on my free MoodleCloud site  - but I see it with Chrome....Example of forum  highlighting

but not with MS Edge...

No blue line in Forum

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rick Jerz -

Not quite, Mary.

Yes, I get a left colored border when I on a permalink, however, this is not the same feature.

In your first graphic, click on the parent post and see if a surrounding border appears around all.

In my graphic, you will see a blue line next to my individual post, and one surrounding both (a little lighter blue.)

In reply to Rick Jerz

by John Provasnik -

Ok, I was able to replicate on my custom theme (moodle 3.4) in chrome - but not in the forum. It happens anytime I use the administration block. Seems to be outlining any "DIV" container that you click on. I wonder if it has anything to do with the browser's built in Developer Tools?

In reply to John Provasnik

by Rick Jerz -

I don't believe that it is a browser issue.  I am always using Safari.  Here, in Moodle.org, the light blue boarders show.  But not on my own Moodle or MoodleCloud.  I have tried Chrome, but no luck.

Somehow, it seems to be either a setting or a theme issue.