Integration round 2019-02-01: 100 strong!

Integration round 2019-02-01: 100 strong!

by Jun Pataleta -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Integration round 2019-02-01:
Cold numbers:

25 issues have been successfully integrated, 2 rejected and 0 delayed - 92.6% success. Awesome!

Notes:
  • 66 issues currently awaiting peer review. Let's keep bringing this number down!
Hot topics:
  • MDL-64414 - New logical OR and logical AND operations for IF conditions in grade calculations
  • MDL-64528 - Prevent manual completion for frozen contexts
  • MDL-46881 - Refactoring of forum scheduled task into smaller tasks
Warm thanks:
  • To the first 100 people who are participating to test MoodleNet. Your valuable feedback will surely contribute to the success of this exciting project!
  • To HQ's dedicated developer, and now father to a beautiful daughter, Mihail Geshoski! Congrats!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jun Pataleta

Re: Integration round 2019-02-01: 100 strong!

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Please could the integrators explain what the plan is for dealing with the integration backlog.

After your (well deserved) Christmas break, the backlogs was 90 issues waiting for integration on Monday 7th January. Now, 4 weeks later 76 issues waiting for integration on Monday. At this rate, you won't have worked through the backlog by the time of the Moodle 3.7 code-freeze. 

I assume someone is thinking about this, and has a plan, but it would be nice to know what it is.

(Also, part of the problem is, for so many years, you were so efficient. Before last Christmas, you almost always integrated everything each week, and if anything was carried over, you caught up the following week.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

thanks for your interest, Tim, worth explaining our plan for dealing with our current integration backlog:

Integrate them without lowering the quality and attention to the detail at all. smile

Just that, there isn't any shortcut or magic solution to share here that could make you (and me) happier. Of course, your estimation about not being able to process the pile by the time of Moodle 3.7 is an exaggeration (I hope!), and I take it that way. smile I really hope that we'll be able to sort it out in few weeks.

I think this has been an exceptional combination of weeks, not only the 2 Xmas ones (well deserved, hah) but:

• The original 5 weeks (freeze) before major release where we hold all new features and improvements.
  • The extra 2+1 weeks that Moodle 3.6 was delayed (hold continues).
  • The 2 weeks of on-sync period (safety period to keep new stable and master the same for easier regression fixing). (hold continues).
  • The 2 weeks of Xmas. (no process those weeks)
  • The week of latest security/minor releases. (only security, regressions and critical, blocker issues).

That accounts a total of 12+1 weeks where the normal (weekly) processing of integration issues simply didn't happen, and new feature and improvement accumulated and accumulated. And we started processing them just 3 weeks ago (after January's 14th releases).

Also, add to that the fact that normally new features and improvements use to require a little bit more of feedback, tidying, suggestions, iterations... and that is, pretty much, IMO, the reason the backlog doesn't seem to become reduced at enough pace. But I really think that it's advancing, every day.

Finally, we have also been discussing about it and have realized that, in the past, we used to be more "radical" and proceed by reopening issues when something was not 100% ok. Instead, now we use to ask for thoughts, changes, opinions while keeping the issue under integration... that makes the backlog to look bigger, but still think that it's ok to allow some interactions to happen within the integration phase, instead of sending it back to dev (unless there is something clearly unacceptable, of course). I'd prefer not to change that behavior (knowing that it would bring us, integrators, some extra "fresh air", but still...).

So, summary, after 12+1 weeks of accumulating issues and 3.5 weeks processing them, I'm optimistic that we'll be able to sort out the problem soon. Where "soon" is an unknown number of weeks (we don't know how much an issue will take till we pick it!), but I'd say I'll eat Moodle's Hat if it's not before 3.7 freeze! (not really tongueout ).

And, yes, we are really aware of it (in fact me - and other integrators - also have issues awaiting for integration since December, heh) and trying our best towards reducing the pile to the ideal ZERO it should be. But without any change to our behavior when handling issues (call it quality vs quantity if you prefer, to make it clear which our priority is).

Hope this helps a little bit to describe the situation better and how we are expecting to get it fixed soon!

Ciao smile

Average of ratings: Useful (6)
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks for your detailed reply Eloy.

Just to make it clear, I think that what the individual integrators do, and how they do it, is excellent and makes a big difference to the quality of the Moodle code.

The problem is not what the integrators are doing, but that there are not enough of them for the current situation. My estimate of when you would have caught up was not exaggeration, it was just linear extrapolation (on average you are integrating abuot 5 more issues than are submitted for integration each week).

So, my question was not really to the integrators, but to the people at HQ how managed the development team (who used to be listed by name on the moodle.com, but that no longer seems to be the case).

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Sander Bangma -

Hi Tim,

As Head of Open Source I lead the development team. And yes, I agree with you this should be listed on the moodle.com web-site and have put that thought forward internally more than once. We are doing work on moodle.com in the background and I'd like to see all the main contacts listed when the changes come online.

In addition to Eloy's comments on the integration queue I would just like to add that the integration team is also undergoing some internal team changes, with some of the team changing their focus within Moodle (away from integration) and new integrators coming on board. So this change process takes a little time and the new members are still learning the ropes.

It will take a little time for the queue to reduce back to normal numbers, but I don't foresee an ongoing issue at this stage.