Importing Multiple Cloze Questions and //NEWCLOZEQUESTION

Importing Multiple Cloze Questions and //NEWCLOZEQUESTION

by Joel Brondos -
Number of replies: 2

I want to prepare dozens of cloze questions (dealing with practicing declension and conjugation forms) FOR IMPORT. Creating cloze questions one-at-a-time is rather tedious . . . though sometimes I copy and edit from one cloze question to the next.

I saw that a 2016 thread regarding the "importing of multiple cloze questions" mentioned something about a //NEWCLOZEQUESTION line entry between questions (with and without line breaks), but I haven't gotten that to work for me.

What also was not clear in that discussion was how one might uniquely name each question.

And it was not clear whether the file containing the questions for upload had to be in UTF-8 format.

I tried using the GIFT "short answer" question, but it only allows for ONE short answer per question (even if more are included).

Or is there an Excel to XML converter which handles embedded cloze questions?

I'm pushing this topic which was closed after a year of inactivity (when I found it). Our Moodle hosting is using a recent version of Moodle 3.0+ but I don't know the precise build.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joel Brondos

Re: Importing Multiple Cloze Questions and //NEWCLOZEQUESTION

by Andrew Barrett -

Hi Joel,

A while back we created a little java programme to convert to XML from excel. It's very rough but functional - we've uploaded approximately 20 000-odd questions onto our moodle instance using it. It also allows for hints and penalties, etc. I'm fairly certain some knowledgeable programmers could make it 100 times better but it works so we've stuck with it.  It won't let me attach to this post but I could email to you if you send me a private message.

Spirit of sharing.

Andrew

In reply to Joel Brondos

Re: Importing Multiple Cloze Questions and //NEWCLOZEQUESTION

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

Unfortunately the version of the multianswer import format included in core Moodle only support one cloze question per file.

I still have a modified version that permit to import multiple questions available in my Github here:

https://github.com/jmvedrine/moodle-qformat_multianswers

If you know how to add a plugin to your Moodle you can try to use it. It has not been updated for a while but should still work with Moodle recent versions.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)