Need help with understanding manual grading

Need help with understanding manual grading

by Brendon Hatcher -
Number of replies: 6

Hi

Issue 1:

• I create a quiz.
  • The quiz contains a single essay question.
  • The student takes the quiz and enters something in the essay HTML editor window.
  • The submission requires manual grading.

Problem: Student can go to "Grade" before I have graded their work, and they see an "empty" result.  It doesn't say "Grade pending"

Issue 2:

• I create a quiz.
  • One of the questions requires that the user perform an action in the offline world.
  • The results of this action are captured separately.
  • I need a way for the students to indicate in the quiz that they have done the offline action
  • It appears that only essay questions trigger manual grading.

Problem: However, if I make the offline question an essay question, the student has to type something in the essay block.  This feels quite clumsy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Brendon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brendon Hatcher

Re: Need help with understanding manual grading

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I'll take a stab at helping.  (Others may have more ideas for you.)

#1 - In my Moodle, the grade in the grade book for ungraded items is a "-" (dash.)

I tell students that a dash means: I, or Moodle, have not graded the item yet.  A student who has submitted a quiz and sees the dash knows that "I haven't graded this item, yet."

For these types of quizzes that have open-ended questions, I go into the quiz, manual grading, and see all the quizzes that I have not yet graded.

For me, this has been working fine for around 10 years of using Moodle.

#2 - A true/false question "I have completed the assignment and it is ready to grade." is what I would do.

However, I do a lot of this.  Students use Excel to calculate answers to different problem scenarios. I prefer to create a question in Moodle that is seeking the student to take their answer from Excel and enter it into Moodle.  

For completely open-ended student tasks, I prefer to use the "Assignment" activity.  Students then upload their external file(s), I download and grade.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Brendon Hatcher -

Hi Rick

Thanks for the input...

#2 - A true/false question "I have completed the assignment and it is ready to grade." is what I would do.

However, I do a lot of this.  Students use Excel to calculate answers to different problem scenarios. I prefer to create a question in Moodle that is seeking the student to take their answer from Excel and enter it into Moodle.  

If I do a True/False, I have to choose which answer is right, and I have to assign a mark.

As a result, the question will be marked automatically.

If all my questions are true/false, then the whole quiz is graded automatically, and I have no opportunity to intervene with the manual grading.

Stuck!

Regards
Brendon

by Brendon Hatcher -

Hi

A quiz with a mix of manually and automatically graded questions behaves correctly.

Learner's don't see their partial grade until the manual grading is complete.

I see no way to change a question type from automatic to manual grading.

I was hoping to make a true / false question that says "Have you completed the task", give it a maximum of 5 marks, then set it to manual grading.

At the moment, it seems I have to add an essay question and then say "If you have completed the task, enter Yes below" but this feels really clumsy.

Finally, I guess I could create a new quiz question plugin that is manually graded that suits my needs.

Any comments anyone?

Thanks
Brendon

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

For a single essay question - is there a reason that you are not using assignment instead of quiz?  Would that resolve that one.

For the offsite one, is the problem that you are trying to get a notification when they have completed it?    Does it have to be part of an existing quiz?  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Brendon Hatcher -

Hi Emma

Thanks for responding.

I am testing people's ability to use a custom information system that my company uses.

The quiz contains some multiple choice questions, short answer questions, drag and drop on image etc, which can all be graded automatically.

However, I also need them to perform operations and save them in the information system.
The quiz question provides the instructions.
I will have to manually grade these questions.

I need the whole quiz grading to remain pending until I have manually graded the operation questions.

So far, I can only do that by adding an essay question to the quiz.
The essay question provides the instructions.
However, the user cannot leave the question blank, otherwise the system gives them a grade of zero for that question, and then completes the final grade for the quiz.
I can tell them to enter an arbitrary word in the essay question, that is clumsy, and I can be sure that they will actually do it.

So, I am looking for the ability to add a true/false question with manual grading enforced.
Or, I will have to create a new question type.

Any further comments, anyone?

Thanks
Brendon

by Brendon Hatcher -

I was thinking of the requirements for the custom plugin.

I could clone the essay question as a new plugin.

Then hide the answer text area.

Then add 2 checkboxes "I have performed the action(s) | I have not performed the action(s)"

If they select "Have performed" then the hidden textarea is populated with "Done".  This will then go for manual grading.

If they select "Have not" then the question remains "Not yet answered" and the rest of the quiz logic still works.

Comments?

Thanks
Brendon