"Tiles" course format

"Tiles" course format

by David Watson -
Number of replies: 68

"Tiles" format displays course topics as "Tiles", rather than as a list. When clicked, tile content is displayed under the tile with an animated transition. The layout adapts to different screen sizes and orientations.

Within each tile, activities can also be set to display as "sub-tiles".

The tile icon for each tile can be selected from a predefined set (i.e. the teacher does not need to upload images).

It is available at https://moodle.org/plugins/format_tiles

If you have a question, please let me know.

Course screenshot

Average of ratings: Useful (6)
In reply to David Watson

Re: "Tiles" course format

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi David,

Are you advertising a new version?  As the format seems to have been around for a while?  Thus not clear why you've posted?  Are there recent improvements?

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by David Watson -

Hi Gareth

It was submitted to the Plugins directory a few months back, but only became available for download recently, when it received its approval.

David

In reply to David Watson

by Kristin Isler -

Awesome format, David! Any chance you could do a 3.2 version?

In reply to Kristin Isler

by David Watson -

Thanks both!

Kristin I wasn't planning to do a 3.2 version now, as it looks from the stats page at https://moodle.net/stats/ like usage of 3.2 and even 3.3 is dropping off at this point.  I did try installing it into 3.2, hoping that it may just work as it was, but unfortunately it looked like there were going to be some things needed fixing.

In reply to David Watson

by Kristin Isler -

I understand. I work with both Moodle and Totara and would need the 3.2 version for the Totara sites.  Thanks again!

In reply to David Watson

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi David

thanks. Great format. One question: How do you calculate an activity progress?

Ralf

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by David Watson -

Hi Ralf

On each tile, the percentage complete is based on the number of activities that are marked as complete within each section, either by the student or automatically.  This excludes labels as it does in other formats.

In the screen shot it's shown as a percentage, but there is an option in course settings to show it in the standard way if preferred (i.e. "Progress 3 / 4") instead.

In the next release I am planning a couple of minor fixes on this, and soon after adding some automated tests to ensure that the calculation is doing what it's supposed to do.

David

In reply to David Watson

by Deeya K -

Hi David,

Kindly advise how to automatically mark the tile as complete based on completion of quiz or book/lesson.

Many thanks

Dee

In reply to Deeya K

by David Watson -

Hi Dee

You would use the normal controls to set the completion criteria (e.g. students must view the activity, or students must achieve a certain grade etc).  If you have set "Progress on each tile" to show under Course Admin > Edit settings then completion status will show on the tile as well.

Note that, as regards grade dependent completion tracking only (not view dependent tracking) there is a bug in plugin version 3.3.5 and earlier,  which means that the completion status may not show correctly to students.  This bug was fixed last week, and will go into the next release at moodle.org (version 3.3.6, probably within the next couple of weeks).  In the meantime the fix is posted in the version at https://bitbucket.org/dw8/moodle-format_tiles/downloads/ if you need it.

David

In reply to David Watson

by Black 0ut -
Hi David,

Unfortunately, even with the fix you posted, I still am experiencing issues with activity completion progress.  If the user does not achieve a passing grade, the activity completion percentage doesn't show correctly.  I verified that in the Quiz settings area that the requirement was just that they receive a grade, not a passing grade.  Do you have any additional information how to resolve this?  

moodle-activity-progress

In reply to Black 0ut

by David Watson -

Hi do you have a "Grade to pass" shown under "Grade" for this quiz, or maybe did you when the student sat the quiz?

Grade to pass setting

These settings are little fiddly but what seems to happen is that, if there is a grade present in "Grade to pass", if the student takes the Quiz and does not get that grade, the Quiz will then show a red  "X" for "complete but fail".  If they do get the grade, it shows a green check mark for "Complete and pass".  

If the student hovers over the "fail" icon they see some explanation

Completed (did not achieve a pass grade)

The help icon below suggests that this is the way it's intended, where it says "Pass and fail icons may be displayed if a pass grade for the activity has been set".

Students must receive a grade tooltip

Also I get the same behaviour if I try this in a "Topics" course, so I think it's correct, though it's possible I am missing something.

I also notice that, if you remove the "Grade to pass" after the student has sat, the red Xs still appear - you have to clear their attempts and have them sit again (or maybe you could clear and then manually re-enter their grades, but I didn't try that)

In reply to David Watson

by Black 0ut -

Hi David,

This is how the activity is currently configured:

Max grade = 2.00

screen-1

screen-2

The flow I was hoping for was that if the student does not pass the quiz (i.e. 1.00 out of 2.00), the completion percentage on the tile will still show a green check-box but when the tile is collapsed, the activity shows with a red X showing that the student didn't pass based on the set passing score.

I tried deleting the attempt as well as completion data with no luck unfortunately.

Thank you!

In reply to Black 0ut

by David Watson -

I think as long as you have that "Grade to pass" field completed, if the students score less than that, they will get the red cross to indicate a fail grade.  That's a core Moodle thing so this plugin follows it too.

If removing that grade isn't an option in your case, I don't know of an easy answer for you unfortunately.  If other users in your environment want to follow the same path, you could potentially replace the red cross image in your copy of the plugin with a green check image, so that whenever the plugin tries to display the red cross, it shows the green check instead.  

I wouldn't recommend that, as it would affect all other users (and may be confusing for some), and you would have to remember to keep maintaining your customisation on later updates.  But you could go into the tiles/pix directory, make a copy of the green check image "completion-y.svg", delete the existing the red cross image "completion-fail.svg" and replace it with a renamed copy of the green check.

In reply to David Watson

Re: Re: "Tiles" course format

by Black 0ut -
Thank you David for you support/prompt responses! I overlooked to mention that I am a huge fan of the plug-in and what you've done so far.
In reply to Black 0ut

by Andreas Panagiotopoulos -
David, thank you for your work so far. This problem still exists!

When a user has failed in the quizzes that exist in a tile (moodle shows the red icon next to quiz), then there is the text 'Progress 0/2' instead of the red icon.

Please, check the attachment screenshot.

Regards,

Andreas
Attachment screenshot-nimbus-screenshot.everhelper.me-2019.10.08-13_27_18.png
In reply to Andreas Panagiotopoulos

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I really don't think this is anything to do with the course format. I suspect if you switch to a different format, you will find the same issue. You need to look at your quiz settings and your completion settings. Did you remove the grade to pass as suggested previously?
In reply to Black 0ut

by ici dev -

Hai black out,

can you share some ideas to create titles in tiles like you have in the picture ?

In reply to David Watson

by Leonard Michlmayr -

In other course formats, the label can be completed. E.g. I want the students to install some software and check the label when done. If I use the tile format the task cannot be marked as completed.

In reply to Leonard Michlmayr

by David Watson -
Hi Leonard Tiles should behave the same as other formats in this respect. I wonder if there is some setting out of place or perhaps a compatibility issue with a custom theme.
In reply to David Watson

by Leonard Michlmayr -
When I disable the option "Use sub tiles for activities" it works fine. With the option enabled, a label is not displayed as a tile and without a checkbox, while the other activities are displayed as a tile with a checkbox.
In reply to David Watson

by jason du toit -
hi david. thanks for the great plugin!

is there any way to show the progress completion to a student as a fraction of *all* the activities with completion criteria, whether or not the activities are currently available to a student (ie, not restricted by some restriction critria)? our students find it incredibly frustrating to see that they have completed say 3/4 activities (four activities available, three completed, one restricted), only for it to change to say 4/5 (all five activities available, 4 four completed) the moment that the restricted activity becomes available through completion of the previous activity.

we restrict access to certain assignments based on completion of earlier activities. we'd like the progress indicator to include the restricted activities.

the "completion progress" plugin has an option to list all the activities you want to be included in the total (so that restricted activities can also be part of the progress bar).

thank you
jason
In reply to David Watson

by Luiggi Sansonetti -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi

Thanks for this course format very interesting.

It will be soon translated in french wink

Cheers.

In reply to David Watson

by Russell Jackson -

Hi David,

We are experiencing some strange behaviour with the tile icons, we have uploaded a few extra ones in our brand colours and to date they have worked without issue, but for some reason these have now disappeared from the pick list:

Any idea what is going on here?

Moodle 3.6.2 and Tiles 3.3.6

No other changes to the system for weeks!

Regards,

In reply to Russell Jackson

by David Watson -
Hi Russell

Certainly seems strange that they would stop working like that. I would check that they are in the correct directory (/pix/tileicon), that the file permissions have not changed and that the file names do not clash with any of the font awesome icons. Not sure if that would help though.

Regards

David
In reply to David Watson

by Patrick Viney -

Hi, thank you so much for this great plugin. I love it !

Anyway, we're experiencing a small annoying bug when using Safari as web browser :

On the main course page :

1. turn editing on
  2. expand all
  3. add a file in one section
  4. then click on Edit and try to delete it

=> the modal window asking for confirmation does not appear in Safari, making it impossible to delete.

It works with other browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera) but not with Safari.

Any idea?

(we have the latest version of the plugin. We use Moodle 3.6.5)

Regards

Patrick

In reply to Patrick Viney

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Is it something as simple as having popups blocked?
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Patrick Viney -
Actually, I've just realized that it's the whole "edit" menu which doesn't work, not only the "delete" function. The "edit" menu appears but clicks on it are not taken into account.
In reply to David Watson

by Eleonore Lantaz -
Hello,

I would like to know more regarding this plugin.
I installed it (quite nice btw!) and 2 things:
- possible to add our icons?
- will it work with the moodle app soon?

Thanks!

Best regards,
In reply to Eleonore Lantaz

by Acqua Alta -

Hi Eleonore,

The source of the icons that you can place in the tiles is the "\pix\tileicon" path in the plugin folder. It seems that the SVG files (tile icons) are being loaded from there.

In reply to David Watson

by Russell Waldron -

Great format, David. 

In reply to Russell Waldron

by Ulrike Albers -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hello,
Just to give my opinion on Tiles which I think is a very very beautiful theme that makes Moodle courses more elegant and modern than any other learning platform, including Mooc platforms. Thank you!
In reply to David Watson

by Denis Le Gourriérec -
Hello.
Very good plugin.
Can you tell me where it stores the uploaded tile images. I changed format for a test and reverting to yours, tiles images are not displayed anymore. Checking on server files, I cannot find them either. Thanks

Denis
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Watson

by Shaili Sharma -

Hi, 

It's a great plugim. For my site Tiles are working in website but not working for Moodle mobile App. 

Can you help me out how it can be sorted or maybe a checklist where I can see check every point for tiles activation in Moodle mobile App.

Thanks

In reply to David Watson

by Anne-Sophie Cabrillat -

Thanks for this course format, that's really cool. 

Just a question : I'd like to paste a entire section in the Sharing Cart but I can't. Is there a way to do it ?

Thank you !

Anne Sophie

In reply to David Watson

Tiles are created automaticaly time by time???

by Tokhir Akhmedjanov -

Dear David Watson,

First of all thank you for your work. I have read alot about the plugin here in this discussion forum. But couldn't find the solution to one issue which we faced within last 6 month.

Let me explain the issue:

We are experiencing some strange behavior with the tile format, the tiles are created automatically time by time and the number of created tile are different, sometimes 2-3 more tile, sometimes they are about 50.

Any idea what is going on here?

Our Moodle  version 3.5.2 (Build: 20180910)  and Tiles 3.7.0.12 (RC)2019052112

No other changes to the system for weeks!

Huge thanks in advance

Regards,

In reply to Tokhir Akhmedjanov

Re: Tiles are created automaticaly time by time???

by David Watson -

Hi Tokhir apologies for the slow reply but do you still have this problem? 

It sounds like the issue which arises when you are running Moodle 3.9, but using the old (incompatible) Moodle 3.7 version of the Tiles plugin.  You definitely don't want to do that - if you are running Moodle 3.9, there is now a Beta for Moodle 3.9 which you should use instead.  You can see which version of 'Tiles' you are running under Site administration > Plugins > Plugins overview > Course Formats > Tiles Format

In reply to David Watson

by Ali Hastie -

With using Moodle for the past 14 years, this has to be one of the best course formats available, which our staff and students love.

Though, I do have a little concern, the current version of the tiles format covers up to Moodle 3.7 version and we are heading for Moodle 3.8 version very soon. Any plans in releasing a Moodle 3.8 version?

In reply to David Watson

by Justin Templemore-Finayson -
Hi there,
Thanks for the plugin, really enjoy it.
Feeling stupid here but ... I can't find the setting to use photos as a tile background. Can you point me to the right place?
I would like photo tiles for both section and activity tiles.
Cheers, Justin!
In reply to Justin Templemore-Finayson

by David Watson -
Hi Justin when editing a course, clicking a tile icon will bring up a window where you can upload a photo. This assumes that the site administator has enabled it under Site Administration > Plugins > Course Formats > Tiles Format > Photo Tiles. For more information see https://evolutioncode.uk/tiles/docs/teachers/

At present you can only load photos for sections - activities may be included in a later release.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to David Watson

by Melanie Scott -
You know, it has nothing to do with this thread but your comment about Photo Tiles made me curious to how mine was set up (it has been a while and we've updated it)...and I found a solution to something else that was irritating me, so thanks!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Watson

by Andres Sch -

Hi, I have a local moodle and just downloaded your plugin, the instalation was okay, but the problem is that is not working. I still see the course content as default by moodle. I got the theme Moove,  moodle version 3.9, I already set the mosaic format in courses, bou doesn't seem to work. Any ideas? thank you

In reply to David Watson

by Fabien Eon -

Thanks for this great plugin.

I have a question, that has probably already been answered somewhere, but I can not find anything appropriate.

My question is : the completion % for each tile does not includes activities with restricted access.

Exemple for a section with 4 activities, each available once the previous has been completed.

The result is : completion 0/1 before beginning course, then 1/2, then 2/3 and so on.

I would prefer the student to see 0/4 from the beginning, then 1/4, 2/4...

Thank you for any tip regarding this issue.

In reply to Fabien Eon

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I can see an issue with that, which depends very much on why those activities are restricted.
In your use case where they are restricted based on completion of a previous activity what you say makes sense. However, if they are restricted because of, for example, group membership - used to (possibly) split groups so Group A does one activity, Group B another, or having a different submission date, then showing the total activities would not be appropriate and showing the activities available to that user is.
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by jason du toit -
is there any way to show the progress to a student as a fraction of all the activities with completion criteria, whether or not the activities are currently available to a student? the "completion progress" plugin has an option to list all the activities you want to be included in the total.

our students find it incredibly frustrating to see that they have completed say 100%, only for it to change to say 20% the moment that the restricted activites are available.
In reply to David Watson

by pecam pecam -

Thank you David. It's a great plugin.

This not only makes the courses more beautiful, but also easier to use.

Except maybe on the tile edition, our teachers are a bit lost when the tiles are not expanded, in edition mode.

Is there a way to extend them by default?

Thanks a lot

In reply to David Watson

by Mark Revell -

I wonder if it is possible to select a custom image for a sub-tile, just as it is possible to select a custom image for a primary tile. This would be a very nice feature. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to David Watson

by Pablo Perez Ruiz -

Is it possible to add a footer with the tiles format? I´ve been trying to add a resource at the end of the format but I can only do it as a tile. I would like to have a banner at the bottom. Thanks!

In reply to Pablo Perez Ruiz

by Patrick van Bronckhorst -

Hi Pablo,

I see your frustration and I have the same problem.

Within a Tile there's the possibility to insert 'Label' activities which is a great way to further section as these do not become sub-tiles. In the same way, it would be great to have the 'Label' activity available at course level too in order to have the ability to section the Tiles of a course if required.

I 'm not able to estimate the impact of such a change but is there any chance to realize this in the near future for this course format if there's enough interest of other users?

In reply to Patrick van Bronckhorst

by Pablo Perez Ruiz -
I figured out a way of adding a footer by creating an orphaned HTML block that shows in the lower region of the page!
In reply to Pablo Perez Ruiz

by Patrick van Bronckhorst -
Thanks for your reply and to share your solution!

Ok, sounds great! Seems like a good solution to your problem. If I'm right, the position of such a block on the page is achieved by weighing?
That makes it very hard for me to get such a block exactly between two specific tiles I suppose. I'll have to experiment.

Thanks again, kind regards, Patrick.
In reply to Patrick van Bronckhorst

by Pablo Perez Ruiz -

Yes, I played around with the position and the weight of the blocks, but I don´t know whether you could do the same to ge t ablock between tiles.

In reply to David Watson

by Scott Rogers -
Hi David, we love your plugin and just want to see if it is possible to update the icons. We need numbers up to 30 and just wondering how we would go about adding these numbers to the icon directory. Would these be lost with future updates? Thanks for your assistance with this query. Cheers Scott
In reply to Scott Rogers

by Hector Cantó -

have you been able to add new icons? how could you do it? I need to add new icons to the ones that already appear by default

In reply to David Watson

by Pat McDenn -

This isn't a critical issue, but it seems that when you "hide but make available" an activity while using Tiles format, it writes the "available but not shown on course page" tag twice. I am using Fordson and Tiles in Moodle 3.9.6.

• Switching to another format (like weekly or topic) removes the duplicate.
  • Removing the availability but still hiding also removes the duplicate tag.

I haven't tested outside of Fordson.

In reply to David Watson

by Douglas Cordeiro, Jr. -

Hi, David!

Is it possible to hide the overall progress indicator?

In reply to Douglas Cordeiro, Jr.

by Sebastien Durietz -

Hi Douglas,

I don't know if it could help but the only way I found to hide the overall progress indicator was to play with the CSS. Create a label (but you could do it in any field text available in the page of your course), expand the menu of your text editor to find the </> icon, click on it and paste this script at the top:

<script type="text/javascript">

var cssRules = '#tileprogress-0 {display:none !important;}';

var styleElement = document.createElement('style');

styleElement.appendChild(document.createTextNode(cssRules));

document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(styleElement);

</script>

Save and it should do the trick.
Best

In reply to David Watson

by Lambert Famorca -
Hi David,

Great plugin! May I know if it is possible to make it full width? I am using Fordson, M3.7. Thanks
In reply to David Watson

by Vladyslav Grinko -

Is there a way to made the "all courses" page in tiles like inside independent course?

In reply to David Watson

by Caio Rocha -
Hi David,

First, i apologize for my bad english, but i can try explain my questions for you.

We have two progress places right? Overall Progress and Course Progress.
In the Overall progress, if i restrict a block, this block doesn't appear in the count. Is it possible change this? For all the blocks count, even if they are restrict?

For the course progress, i put another plugin together, subcourse, but the progress doesn't pic a internal progress to the course. Is there a possibility to do this? Or the percentual is just for number of activities inside the block?

Thanks, and one more time, sorry about my english.
In reply to Caio Rocha

by jason du toit -
have you managed to find a solution to your overall progress showing restricvted blocks in the count?
In reply to David Watson

by David Augusto Youssef -

Hello, I am having a problem with the images of the tiles.

I have a Moodle version 3.8.2+ (Build: 20200408) and I have this plugin installed in version 3.9.0.13 2020080613.

The problem arises when loading an image for the tiles, they randomly disappear after a while. The system does not throw any error message. Any recommendation to solve this problem?

In reply to David Watson

Vs: "Tiles" course format

by Jani Hovi -

Hello,

Is it possible to get progress value from Subcourse -plugin to the Tiles -section progress? 

When you have only one Subcourse-activity in section the progress value is 0 % or 100 %.

Example in Image:

Edistyminen = Progress
Nykyinen edistyminen = Current Progress

In reply to David Watson

by Mar Martinez -
Dear David, just a simple question, but I need confirmation... We have a course already published and with all the results of the students there, certificates, progress, etc. Can we change the format to tiles format without losing any data, right? Or should we make a back-up of the course just in case? Thank you very much!
In reply to David Watson

by Clement LARRIVE -

Hello everyone, and thanks again to David for this awesome course format. We use it a lot.

Maybe someone will have a trick up their sleeve, but when a course page is loaded in web browsers (tried with the regular ones), the page always scrolls to the top of the tiles. Some teachers like to put important things in the Section 0 of their course, which makes it so students don't always see the important things.

I've told teachers to put everything in a new tile at the beginning, but would there any way around that? Like always loading the page on top of Section 0?

Thanks!

In reply to David Watson

by jason du toit -
moodle: 3.9
space theme: 1.14
tiles format: 3.11

when using tiles format and embedding a video, making the video full screen causes the video to be kicked out of full screen and the tile section to be reloaded.

this behaviour occurs with both youtube and vimeo embed codes.

disabling Use JavaScript navigation from Tiles main page in Tiles settings resolves this problem, but then clicking a tile loads the relevant section in a new page, and this is not the bevahiour we are looking for.

any ideas?