Open Forum Plugin in Moodle 3.6

Open Forum Plugin in Moodle 3.6

by Mikey Helmick -
Number of replies: 13

Hello,

I am trying to reinstall the Open Forum plugin into Moodle 3.6. after uploading the zip file, I get the following error

When I go into my server and remove the plugin I can access the site, but I am still unable to reinstall the plugin.

Any advice?

Best,

Mikey Helmick

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mikey Helmick

Re: Open Forum Plugin in Moodle 3.6

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mikey,

Have you tried the master branch from github? The version listed in it is 3.5.2, so you might have better luck with it.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Mikey Helmick -

Hi Al,

How would I go about installing this on my site from github?

Best,

Mikey

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mikey,

When you go to the Moodle down load page for the plugin, click the link to go to the source code, which will take you to github for the plugin. Once there make sure you are looking at the master branch in the dropdown list to the left. Over to the right, click the link to download a zip file. Once the download completes, in your 3.6 Moodle, go Site administration, Plugins, Install plugins. Drag the zip file to file upload box and tell it to Install. Full disclosure, I have not personally tried this plugin, so I don't know if it will work. Hopefully,  it will.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Mikey Helmick -

Hi Al,

Unfortunately, this did not work, as I am getting the same results. 

Thanks for the suggestion!

Mikey

by AL Rachels -

I was afraid of that. Sorry. Just a quick check of the plugin files shows that it is trying to use a file, eventslib.php, which is NOT included in Moodle 3.6. And, it is not real apparent what, or how, Moodle 3.6 does to replace the no longer included functions that were in that file.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

*snap*

See below. The library has now been moved and now uses automatic class loading. As far as I can tell, the only thing required is to remove the require. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by AL Rachels -

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the info about automatic class loading.

@Mikey, I can verify that using the master branch from github and commenting out line 29 in the open forum file, lib.php, does seem to make the plugin install successfully and be usable.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It's worth checking your web server's error log. It might be something simple to fix...

by Howard Miller -

Just for the record... I tried installing the hsuforum plugin and, yes, it doesn't work. 

However....  go to line 29 in mod/hsuforum/lib.php and comment out the require(), thus....

//require_once($CFG->libdir.'/eventslib.php');

...that should get you working.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mikey Helmick -

Howard, 

That worked! Thank you for the help.

Best,

Mikey