How do I save automated backup files to a remote server?

How do I save automated backup files to a remote server?

by Herlich Aguiluz -
Number of replies: 3
I have Moodle 3.3 on Ubuntu 16.04. While in Ubuntu, I mounted smb://FileServer/backup/Moodle I logged in as a registered user that has Read/Write permissions on the share and I told Ubuntu to keep connection until the local machine restarts. Now onto Moodle settings... Site administration > Courses > Backups > Automated backup setup Automated backup storage - Specified directory for automated backups Save to error - "The backup destination folder does not exist or is not writable." These are the paths that I tried: 1) smb://FileServer/backup/Moodle 2) //FileServer/backup/Moodle 3) \\FileServer\backup\Moodle Any advice to get my backups saved to a remote server would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Moodle 3.3.2+ (Build: 20170915) php 7.0.32.0.0.16.04.1
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Herlich Aguiluz

Re: How do I save automated backup files to a remote server?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Not a Moodle problem... 

However, in Unix/Linux you have 'mount points' which 'smb://...' is not. You need a mount point - which just looks like a normal Unix directory path - to put in the box in Moodle. 

A good start would be to read this - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

In reply to Howard Miller

Re: How do I save automated backup files to a remote server?

by Herlich Aguiluz -
Thank you for this. I'll read up and hopefully get this project done before the weekend.