Linking to activities/other courses in app

Linking to activities/other courses in app

by Learning Lab, DCA -
Number of replies: 5

We are beginning to create quite a few courses that are developed especially for the moodle app. A lot of it works great. However, when linking to an activity (that is within the course) it takes me to the mobile web browser. Is there anyway of setting it up, so I can do linking to activities (and even other courses) and still stay within the app environment?

Another version of this also happens when I write the specific title of an activity in for example a section summary. As on the moodle website, it automatically turns it into a link that will take me to the activity. In the app, this again means that it will try to take me out of the app and on to the website instead, which is pretty disruptive for the learning flow (especially if the user is not logged in on the web browser and then has to go through that process as well). 

Thanks!

//

Christoffer - Learning Lab, DCA

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Learning Lab, DCA

Re: Linking to activities/other courses in app

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Christoffer!

If the activity you're linking is supported by the app, then the app should try to open it directly, not in browser. Which type of activity are you linking?

Can you please share one of the activity links that aren't working? You can remove the domain URL if you want, I'm interested in how the URL looks like.

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

Ang: Re: Linking to activities/other courses in app

by Learning Lab, DCA -

It is a "Forum" activity - Here is the link it uses: https://fabo.org/course/KKBA_cohort2/forum/3768-personal-learning-log

The attached screen is how it looks in the app. Here you see the auto-generated link that takes me to the web browser. 

For me what would be ideal, is to find a way to link to activities and courses that the app will try to find in the app data before going online.

Attachment issue.png

Re: Ang: Re: Linking to activities/other courses in app

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Christoffer,

the app is programmed to detect the default Moodle links (e.g. mod/forum/view.php?id=1), but your URL is different. Can you please tell me if you have any custom development or any plugin installed that could be causing this?

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Linking to activities/other courses in app

by Learning Lab, DCA -

ah, that makes sense! Long ago we installed the plugin local_cleanurls which changes the urls to a bit more recognizable setup. So that must be the issue here.

As we are pretty happy with the clean urls, we will properly be looking into implementing a form of detector that recognises use of clean urls on course sites and reverts them to their original url, so they can be used in app.

I have read somewhere that you are also looking into changing to more clean urls in moodle core - will this be something that you are looking into implementing in any coming update?

Best,

Christoffer Bengt, Learning Lab

Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Linking to activities/other courses in app

by Dani Palou -

Hi Christoffer,

I don't know about the plans to make URLs more readable in Moodle, maybe you should ask it in another forum or search if there is a tracker issue to do that smile

Cheers,

Dani