Bug with duplicating quizzes containing random questions?

Bug with duplicating quizzes containing random questions?

by stefan weber -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Plugin developers

Running Moodle 3.5.2+ (Build: 20180927) Version 2018051702.0

A teacher complained that he was unable to duplicate quizzes in his course.

When trying to backup the whole course into a new one, I found out that the backup file for the course contains a 300MB questions.xml file containing 319178 questions.

However, there are only 74 questions in the course's question bank - most of them essays, some multiple choice, some calculated simple question types.

I looked directly at the database, and there are nowhere near this number of questions saved there.

I tried restoring a backup file of the course where i manually deleted the questions from the question.xml, but that did not work either. 

I created a backup file of the 74 questions that are actually visible in the course and restored it in another course, and curiously, the 74 questions were restored, but the number of questions in each of the sub-categories had changed - maybe that has to do with the whole mess?

Does anyone have any idea how this could happen or what could be done to fix it?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to stefan weber

Re: Bug with duplicating quizzes containing random questions?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This looks like MDL-63260

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Bug with duplicating quizzes containing random questions?

by stefan weber -
Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks for the info, good to know its a known bug and being worked on.