Creating a QUiz

Creating a QUiz

by Doug Dickie -
Number of replies: 8

Moodle 3.5 

Hi,

How long should it take to create a Quiz of 100 multi choice questions? Any estimates with question banks added etc would be much appreciated

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Dickie

Re: Creating a QUiz

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I am presuming including creating the questions too.  Probably a couple of hours...

In reply to Doug Dickie

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Creating 100 multiple choice questions, given that the questions are being conceived and created from scratch, and typing each one individually, I would say 10-20 hours.

If the questions are already in electronic format and you can do copy/paste, maybe 6 hours.

If the questions are in a format that can be imported into Moodle, maybe 5 minutes at most per question bank.  Of course, this is my preferred method.  Most good textbooks and publishers will supply a test bank that can be imported into Moodle.

Double-checking questions, even imported questions, might take 30-60 minutes depending on the quality of the source questions.  This includes creating a Moodle question category and moving the category and questions into proper position.

To create a quiz with 100 randomly selected questions (for students), I would say less than 5 minutes.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It depends partly on the subject and how good you expect the questions to be, and do you have some material to start with.

I created about 120 mock exam questions back in 1999 and it was a year or more before I stopped getting accurate bug reports.

http://www.jchq.net/mockexams/exam1.htm

In reply to Marcus Green

by Rick Jerz -

Yep, Marcus, I totally agree with you.

Even question banks from publishers have errors in them.  I tell my students that if they find any error and report it to me, they get a bonus point.  Of course, I immediately fix the error.

Yes, it can take several years before students stop reporting problems.  I sometimes surprises me when a student catches an error in a question bank that I have been using for five years.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Doug Dickie -

Thanks everyone, have the format have the questions (able to copy and paste). have a bone idle LMS admin (I don't know Moodle) who is telling me it will take weeks. i knew that not to be the case.

In reply to Doug Dickie

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Being able to copy and paste existing questions changes the parameters hugely. If you get any problems do post here again.

In reply to Doug Dickie

by Rick Jerz -

Doug, I sense that your LMS admin was giving you the standard reply.

However, you can prove this on your own.  Get a free MoodleCloud account, create a course, then go to the question bank and time how long it takes you to create 10 questions.  Then apply this sample to your bigger needs.

But of course, you run the risk of your LMS admin saying "If it took you only 30 minutes to create 10 questions, then you finish the job." 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Marcus Green -

It was much more than a year actually, more like two or three. I used to get responses that made me slap my forehead and say "how could you possibly think the question meant that!", then I would realise that it was a reasonable interpretation and I needed to clarify and remove ambiguity. It would be nice if the idea behind this question behaviour 

https://moodle.org/plugins/qbehaviour_deferredfeedbackexplain

Could be adapted for the interactive behaviour. 

So much software, so little time.