Question Type

Question Type

by Bruno Bueno -
Number of replies: 4

Hi everyone, good night. ?

First of all, sorry for my "English".

I am new in the community and I come humbly to ask for your help with my situation.

As a Course Completion Work topic for my college, I am researching ways to automate some of the processes of my institution has done within Moodle.

To begin with, I will describe a brief scenario:

1 - Question bank X consists of questions from various courses.

2 - A teacher wants to move a question from your question bank, to the X question bank.

3 - To carry out this movement, this teacher must first submit his question to an analysis.

4 - This analysis is done by a group of teachers who will approve or not this question.

5 - Of this group of teachers, only ONE teacher will "accept" or "reject" the question.

6 - In case of approval, this question will be moved to a bank of questions called "Bank X". In case of disapproval, this question should be returned to the requesting teacher with a brief feedback.

7 - In case of disapproval, if the requesting teacher wishes to send the question again for analysis, he should make the correction that was passed by the "feedback"

To implement some elements of this scenario, I believe that Moodle already has the resources to do so. However, the scenario of "question approval", I believe it is necessary to develop a specific plugin. My doubts are as follows:

Moodle has several types of plugins, such as: Activity modules, Blocks, Question types, etc. What would be the best option for this case?

Is there any "skeleton" or even a plugin template for us beginners to use as a basis for development?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bruno Bueno

Re: Question Type

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

There are probably many ways to do what you want to do.  I will offer one idea.

1) Put the questions subject to review into its own quiz.

2) Have all reviewers take this quiz.

3) When all reviewers finish (i.e., submit with an answer) and all get the questions correct, only these questions are "approved" and eligible to be moved.

4) Have a Moodle administrator move these "approved" questions into question bank X.

Sure, an administrator might like a question but not be able to answer it correctly.  This situation can be handled in a variety of ways, depending on the type of question.  For example, if the question is "multiple choice," the last answer could be "I approve this question."  If it is an Essay question, the administrator can answer with "I approve this question."

--------

Here's another idea.  In my own situation, I run my own moodle so I don't have to worry about administrators.  But I do import questions banks from publisher textbooks, and I do need to decide which questions I like and do not like.  So, I create a quiz, set the quiz to show answers upon completion, add all the questions to the quiz take the quiz, and then I review every question.  In another browser, I have the question bank open.  I move those questions that I do not like (or vice visa) into a different pool, leaving only my good questions in the pool that I will use for the course.

In your case, you could give all of the administrators the "right" to move questions out of the main question pool that they don't like.  Or they might move these questions into another bank for "Subject to further review" or "Maybe okay."

I do encourage you to figure out an electronic way to do this.  One could use a "paper" approach, but I would go crazy managing all of the paper.  smile

Also, Moodle is the only major LMS that can help you with this process because of its excellent question bank features.  Moodle's quiz engine is quite powerful, but one needs to spend some time learning it.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Bruno Bueno -

Rick Jerz, thanks for the suggestion and I will study this possibility of putting the questions subject to revision into its own quiz, this would certainly solve a part of my problem. Could you recommend a nice tutorial? 

You could also tell me whether to put a new button on a "multi-choice" question type. Should I create a question type plugin or are there any that you know about and do something like that? Well I searched and found nothing like it. Thank you

In reply to Bruno Bueno

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I don't know of any tutorials, but here is a quick overview.

For your second question, again, a quick video.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Bruno Bueno -
Rick Jerz,  thank you for taking your time and answering me. I will study these videos that you show me