General help

Alternatives to Unoconv/Google Convertor?

Picture of Jonathan Broks
Alternatives to Unoconv/Google Convertor?

Hello,

I work in an educational college, and we have moodle 3.3.5

We are having a number of issues at the moment with files not converting properly when in on screen marking view. The file will preview blank, and sometimes it will say something along the lines of ‘generating file’.

We understand that the issue may be to do with our file convertor - we currently use Unoconv.

It has been suggested that we switch to Google Convertor, however we don’t feel comfortable moving to Google Convertor, as our college policy is to use Microsoft and for data protection reasons.

First question is, is there an alternative to Google Convertor? Is there a Microsoft version for instance?

Second question is, is this issue purely down to the file convertor? Or may there be something else causing the problem?

Thanks,

Jon

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: Alternatives to Unoconv/Google Convertor?
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

I don't know. But my experience is that unoconv is pretty much useless and Google docs works near perfectly. 

I'm not sure what Microsoft has to do with this. You're not really comparing like with like I think. 

The big issue with unoconv we experienced is that the conversion in Libre Office is less than stable. It hangs on very complex documents (particularly if they have lots of images). On top of that, the whole thing is single-threaded, so if it hangs that's it. No more conversions until you restart it. 

Picture of Jerry Lau

Howard.. you mean restarting the unoconv service correct?

Picture of Mark Sharp
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

I'm pretty sure it should be possible to create a plugin similar to the google converter but using Microsoft Office. I think it's all tied up with OneDrive.

It would be great if there was a Microsoft expert out there who could do something about this.

Picture of Howard Miller

Picture of Jonathan Broks

Is this One Drive convertor possible?

https://moodle.org/plugins/fileconverter_onedrive

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Howard Miller
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Ha ha ... should have looked first!

Picture of Rick Jerz
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Jonathan, I will offer an alternative idea just to provide some additional ideas of how this problem might be solved.

In my own case, I never use the converter for grading uploaded student files.  Instead, I always download the submitted files and "grade" offline.  (Of course, I download the grading worksheet for the assignment." I find it much faster to open student files from my computer than to try to grade with the converter.  If you really want to mark up a file, there are many ways to do this with applications on your computer.  Moodle provides an easy way to provide instructor comments in the grading worksheet, or if needed, you can pass back files to the students.

I know that in another LMS they refer to their internal "markup" system as "speed grader" but I find it to be "much slower grader" or "You must be kidding?"

Picture of Mark Sharp
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

I know I've looked for it in hope a number of times. Must've only recently been approved.

Glad to see it there. Will devo try it out.