Converting database on live site from Antelope to Barracuda

Converting database on live site from Antelope to Barracuda

by David Garden -
Number of replies: 2

I'm using Moodle 3.5.2 and I just looked at Admin>Server>Environment and saw my database is still Antelope instead of Barracuda.  I know how to convert it via myPHPadmin because I did it during installation with another site but I'm worried I could screw up my data if I converted it on my live site(a few thousand student records over a few years that I added this past week via restoring courses from a very out-of-date 2.6 site ).

Is there any risk the format conversion could have a negative impact on the data?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Garden

Re: Converting database on live site from Antelope to Barracuda

by James Steerpike -

I am no expert on Antelope vs Barracuda but there is always a risk when you start modifying databases.

I worked as a lead developer creating database scripts and stored procedures. Our standard method was:

• Any change I made to a database was a script which I checked on my development machine.
  • The analyst then checked and passed the script independently on another copy of our  database
  • I made the change using the script on the clients test database and it was signed off by the client as correct
  • I then applied the script to the client's production server. Usually at 6 am after the nightly backup was verified as complete  to give the client a couple of hours to lock the system and check my work before the staff were able to start processing. Any problems would result in a rollback to the backup.
Running the script on a live server was always stressful. I never forget the moment the client called and told me their operation was down because of me - or really forgave her when she told me she was joking.
This level of checking may seem excessive but at the least you must apply any changes to a development version of Moodle and have a test plan to verify the changes are not destructive before making a change like this.
Apologies if I am telling you what you already know and follow - but there are many plaintive calls on this forum from others whom I suspect have applied untested fixes to live servers.

In reply to David Garden

Re: Converting database on live site from Antelope to Barracuda

by Mark Sharp -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I've run this process a couple of times and not seen any issues. Also make sure that the mysql config has Barracuda as the default otherwise new tables will be created as Antelope.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)