Best way to make a self-grading quiz?

Best way to make a self-grading quiz?

by Chema Zapiens -
Number of replies: 9

Dear moodlers,

what is the recommended way to make a self-grading quiz?

I tried two ways so far:  

Adding the Manual Grading permission to students, as described here.  So the student submits the quiz, and then in the feedback screen he has a link under every question to Make comment or override mark. which opens a new page where you can edit the grade ([0] out of 1.00).  While this works, it's not intuitive at all and requires detailed explaining.  A dropdown menu labelled "Grade your answer" with options like "Correct, partially correct, wrong" right after every answer would be much easier, for example.

So I was hopeful when I found this thread from 2009 which suggests adding a multiple choice question after every normal question and have the student use that for self grading.  But, if I understood this correctly, this requires the student to submit the quiz once, make a note of the feedback somewhere, and then start a new attempt to answer the self-grading multi-choice questions with the noted marks.  Also far from intuitive (specially when nothing happens when I click the Submit all and finish button, sometimes). 

Have I missed any friendlier alternatives?  Thanks in advance for any pointers.

(I'm on Moodle 3.5.1 BTW)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chema Zapiens

Re: Best way to make a self-grading quiz?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am not exactly sure what you seek.

I use self-grading quizzes by using only True/False and Multiple Choice quizzes.  I am attaching my quiz review settings.

I don't like to show students the correct answers, I just show them their results (i.e., correct or incorrect.)  This is because I allow repeats.

Attachment review options.jpg
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Chema Zapiens -

Hi Rick, thanks for your comment.

by self-grading I meant allowing the student to grade his own answers, like in the two threads I linked to.  Sorry for not being detailed, after reading those it seemed like it was "official" terminology. smile

Specifically, I'd like the students to submit essays, and then be able to mark themselves as correct, partially correct or incorrect.

So far, I've found I can give them the Manual Grade permission, and have them click Make comment or override mark and then fiddle with numeric grades.  While this works, having to ask them to "please click override for each question and mark yourself 1, 0.5 or 0 if..." is not intuitive, but rather prone to error.

Alternatively, I can add a multiple choice question to every essay with the "correct, partial, incorrect" options, have them submit their essays while ignoring the multiple choice, and then redo the quiz using the multiple choice to self-grade their essays (if I understood these instructions correctly).  This seemed a bit more friendly, but unlike the first option, it requires them to remember the feedback between the first and the self-grading attempt, which could be cumbersome if there are multiple questions. Also, they can modify their essays afterwards, or not bother with the feedback at all and grade themselves in their first attempt (if you want an incorruptible cashier, start with an incorruptible cash register, James Ritty would say!)

So I was hoping there was a friendlier way to do this.  For example, is there an easy way to change Make comment or override mark to Click here to grade your answer? And the numeric mark to a drop-down menu or multiple choice?

Thanks again.

by Heikki Wilenius -

You can do a self-grading quiz in a Workshop. I think that is the best way to go about it, because it's especially designed for that. You can set up the grading criteria, show them a sample essay, and a sample feedback/grade, etc.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Heikki Wilenius

by Chema Zapiens -

Hmmm, the workshop does has plenty of features, though I don't find it very friendly either.  And seems it requires fixed dates to move through the phases, while our courses are self-paced.  The peer review is very tempting too, I'll keep an eye on it, in case it ever becomes "asynchronous"!

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

What exactly are you trying to achieve with this?  Have you looked at certainty based marking question behavior?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Chema Zapiens -

Hi Emma!

I want the students to be able to grade themselves, so the teachers don't have to do it (with all of them anyway;  Bentham's panopticon must go on! ;).

Specifically, I'd like the students to submit essays, and after receiving feedback, be able to mark themselves as correct, partially correct or incorrect.

Certainty based marking wouldn't help, I think.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Not quite what you are looking for but if you want essays graded then look at two plugins, assuming you can add plugins:

Essay autograde plugin on Github

H5P with the essay option

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chema Zapiens -

Wow.  I don't think H5P can help with self-grading, but it sure looks mighty useful.  And beautiful!  Now I have to redo all the quizzes!  When is it becoming the default!?

Thanks!

Edit: the auto-grading options do look useful, but right now all I need is self-grading.

by Chema Zapiens -

Thanks everyone for your comments, I've settled for the manual grading permission method, using "translation" to change Make comment or override mark  to something more clear.

But I hope to transition to H5P's auto-graded essays eventually, which are awesome!