Activities displaying in learning Plan

Activities displaying in learning Plan

by Richard McHugh -
Number of replies: 8

Hello, is it possibel for activities to be displayed in learning plans? I thought it was but I am running some tests now and I cannot seem to get them to display. 

Just to clarify I have linked a bunch of competencies to a course, then assigned competencies to a learning plan template,  and then linked the competencies to specific activities within the course. 

I hope that makes sense, and many thanks for your attention,

Richard 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard McHugh

Re: Activities displaying in learning Plan

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

If you assigned a learning plan template to a student and viewed the student's learning plan, you should see the competencies linked to the course activities.

I have learned that I need to name the competencies the same as the activity/course otherwise it can be challenging to map the if the setup was correct for the Learning Plan.

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Richard McHugh -
Brilliant thanks for your response I will review my process incorporating

your advice and try again!

Kind regards

Richard

On Friday, October 12, 2018, Shirley Gregorczyk (via Moodle.org) <

by Richard McHugh -

Hi Shirley, a quick note, your solution didn't work but I also upgraded my php in the backend of my website from 7.0.32 to 7.2.11 and now I can see the activities in the learning plans. 

I think what happened is that the icons that are associated with the activities via the theme I am using weren't able to port into the learning plan, whereas with the new  .php version they were readable. (I am not an expert, but I think that may have been at the core of the issue.) 

thanks for your help! 

Richard 

Attachment Snag_2417fc18.png

by Shirley Gregorczyk -

Hello Richard,

In re-reading my post, I should have been more clear - the Learning Plan>Competency view only displays the Competency and the rating.

In your screen capture, I see that you elected to not let Moodle auto award the competency on the student's activity completion and use the activity as evidence. Your setup requires that the instructor to attach the evidence and select the appropriate competency rating.

If that was your plan, your current setup is correct as is.

Kind Regards,

Shirley

by Richard McHugh -

Hello again! Unfortunately the problem has not gone away, however I have a more accurate description of what it is. 
As per the screen shots  below, and following the update yesterday I can now see the activities associated with individual  competencies in the course competencies section but not in the learning plans. I am really at a loss as to how to address this so any guidance is very much appreciated. 

thank you, 

Richard 
Snag_4be254.png
Snag_4a07c8.png
cleardot.gif

by Richard McHugh -

Hi Shirley, in re-reading your second response I now understand that the two screen shots I have presented in my most recent message display competencies and their associated activities correctly. In other words there is nothing wrong with how my site is performing in respect of  how competencies are display - is this correct? 

by Shirley Gregorczyk -

Hello Richard,

Your screen captures did not display correctly, so I cannot review them.

But I suspect that they are correct.

The next thing you will discover is how challenging it is to use competencies if you have a large course/competency structures, annual competency requirements, or large student (employee) populations.

The use case for learning plans and competencies requires reports (views):

• By Learning plan template - display all related competencies (the current view for more than 3 competencies in a learning plan template is difficult to read - cannot reorder the competency by ID)
  • By Learning plan to display all related students (currently cannot export all students with a learning plan)
  • By competencies to display all students with a proficient value of Yes and the date/time stamp (who is competent to drive a forklift)
  • By competencies to display all students with a proficient value of No (who cannot drive a forklift)

Also, once a competency is awarded, it can only be deleted - If the wrong rating is applied the administrator cannot change the rating.

Competencies cannot be end-date - so they cannot be reused for annual training requirements.

Kind Regards,

Shirley

by Richard McHugh -

Hi Shirley, 

many thanks for the update, I take your message to mean 'proceed with caution'. and I appreciate the information

To give you a brief outline,  our use of competencies is to track and measure language skill development. I do not know how complex our competency framework is as I have nothing to compare it to. but it has 21 levels, 4 skill groups and 700 competencies distributed across those skill groups. 

I do not have a large cohort nor do we have requirements as such. We are seeking to implement the learning plans to strengthen the learners identification between the activities they are engaged in and the associated competencies related to the activities - so they can know in a more granular way how they are progressing. 

I reattached the files so you can view them. 

thanks again for your insights 

Richard 

Attachment Snag_44a5edc.png
Attachment Snag_44a5f0b.png