Moodle competencies and the AQF.

Moodle competencies and the AQF.

by Michael Findlay -
Number of replies: 8

Hi everyone.

New moodler, although as a student I used it while at university, and I am setting up a moodle site (https://mapc.moodlecloud.com/) to learn my way around it as an VET (Automotive) teacher so I can continue on to get a Diploma of Training Design and Development as well as a Diploma of Vocational Education and Training. My intent is to learn on this site and then to use what I have learned to migrate it to another site that will enable me to use more modules that aren't available in MoodleCloud.

I have 1 question after looking through the AUR section of training.gov.au and reading a fair few of the individual units of competency for the Automotive sector I am wondering how to set up the competencies in Moodle. I'm not sure the script on github would work with the content on training.gov.au so I am hoping someone may be able to provide some guidance on how to set it up manually.

As a start I would work through AURASA001 - Apply automotive workplace safety fundamentals as it is a Certificate 1 level unit and only used in 1 qualification.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Michael.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Findlay

Re: Moodle competencies and the AQF.

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

In Moodle qualifications = competencies. Competencies are awarded via activity/course completion.

Competencies are linked to a Learning Plan. Learning Plans are assigned to a Student.

This is a lot of administrative effort that maybe you do not need. There is no core reporting for Learning plans and competencies.

If a course or set of courses awards a certificate - Level 1, and then another course of set of courses awards another certificate - Level 2...I would not bother with the competencies and learning plans and just use courses and certificates.

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Michael Findlay -

Hi Shirley thanks for your reply.

Just to get my head around this, and also to explain a little how this part of the AQF works, each unit is a competency. For example in the AURASA001 unit to be deemed competent each candidate must demonstrate they have 1. knowledge of the subject matter and can 2. perform relevant tasks. In the VET section of the AQF these are known as Knowledge Evidence and Performance Evidence and this is how we determine competency.

My thoughts with Moodle is that to make my, long term, job easier I need to somehow match each piece of evidence (knowledge and performance) to a task so that once that has been completed on, at least, 2 separate occasions the candidate can be deemed competent for that task.  As an example in the AURASA001 unit of competency Knowledge Evidence requirements are that candidates are to show they can:

demonstrate knowledge of:

• reasons for ensuring safe work practices in an automotive workplace
  • common automotive workplace hazards, including:
  1. electricity and water
  2. toxic substances
  3. flammable materials and fire hazards
  4. spillages, waste and debris
Once all these tasks (and the Performance Evidence tasks) are completed to a satisfactory standard Moodle will show the candidate, and myself, that the candidate has achieved competency in the unit. This will then make it much easier, in the long term, for me to deem candidates competent. Is this achievable in Moodle?

Cheers.
Michael.

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Your use of the words "task" and qualification reminders me of SAP terminology.

Moodle competencies and learning plans do not have the same functionality as the SAP LMS objects and relationships.

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Michael Findlay -
Thanks Shirley, much appreciated.

by Jeremy Virgo -

Hi Michael,

How did you go with that?

I'm looking into the same thing.

Kind Regards,

Jeremy Virgo

In reply to Jeremy Virgo

by Michael Findlay -
Hi Jeremy.
I haven't found anything yet that would help me import AQF style competencies. I have since setup my own site and am manually adding what I need.
Cheers.
Michael.

by Jeremy Virgo -

Hi Michael,

Out of interest, can I ask what your plans are for the competencies?

Would you going to be reporting on the completion (for ASQA compliance/auditing)?

Kind Regards,

Jeremy Virgo

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jeremy Virgo

by Michael Findlay -
Hi Jeremy
You can ask me anything and I will answer as best I can.

My initial plans are simply to get the competencies in so that they comply with ASQA's requirements but also make it easy to work through them in a logical fashion ensuring that there is no duplication.

Please note that while my new site is live (on my own server) it is by no means ready for candidates to use. I am in the setting up phase and hope to be able to do some testing of the site later this year and probably over the Christmas break. I have a couple of partially setup qualifications (Cert I and II) but will concentrate on a Cert III qualification as it is the most popular trade level course in the AUR Training Package. Once everything is setup it is my intent to see if I would be able to use it for compliance/auditing but that is a long way off yet. I don't want to start using the moodle subdomain of my site properly only to find that I have to make substantial changes so I am taking things slowly.

Cheers.
Michael.