Moodle newbie getting started on 3.5.2 - Questions

Moodle newbie getting started on 3.5.2 - Questions

by Ryan Bupp -
Number of replies: 4

Hi, new to Moodle in general and had a few questions on the best direction to go.  Thanks very much for any time reading/pro

Thanks so much for any info here, and please point me to a betters pot if I've missed it.  I have Moodle set up on PHP7.2/MySQL and have looked at a lot of the links under documentation, but if the items below are something I should have been able to pull from a video please let me know!

I'd love to have some pointers from more experienced users that have set up courses.  I'm building out a course from an existing workbook.  There are 9 "lessons" that are 10-20 pages each.  At the end of each lesson, there are questions that are more essay-type than something I could quiz.

Questions:

1. How would you organize the lessons in Moodle?  My current understanding is that I should create a topic for each, then add a Lesson activity under each one.  And that will let me create multiple content pages.  Is this a good understanding?
  2. For student feedback on the essay-type questions...would it make sense to have that as a forum or an assignment document people need to submit?
  3. How do multiple groups of people work?  Can I have multiple classes going at the same time?  Can enrolled students see forum results from prior students?  etc.

Thanks in advance for any direction!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ryan Bupp

Re: Moodle newbie getting started on 3.5.2 - Questions

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

You will get many ideas from folks here, because Moodle is a very flexible product.  Here are my ideas.

1) Yes, I would put each "lesson" into its own topic in Moodle.  Then, I would build Resources and Activites within each topic, including quizzes and discussions.  I use the Collapsed Topics add-in that provides a bit more flexibility for topics to be opened or closed.

2) If you want students and yourself to easily share observations, then I would use a forum.  Feedback to a student's essay question goes only to that student.  But you can use both, if you wish.

3) Yes, Moodle provides flexibility with groups.  I tend to use groups for breaking a larger class into smaller chunks for discussions.  I have also used Moodle to delivery the very same items to multiple courses (same course, same semester) and then separated these courses, for discussions, into their appropriate sections.  You can set Moodle to not show different groups each other discussions.

In reply to Ryan Bupp

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Erm... there is so many things you could do with courses, so many tools you could use but consider this, form follows function. What are your learning themes? Two learning themes may be similar, so that may be a single course, but more likely not. The is all sorts of varieties and flavours here, so it's pretty much your own choice. 

Your workbook has chapters so it might be one chapter dictates the content of one course. Say a Maths book has a chapters on trigonometry, Pythagoras and Algebra, and while similar in many ways, you won't create one course for all three chapters, well I wouldn't gets too messy. A course can have lots of learning outcomes, but it should only have one theme.   

<span style="waxing: lyrical;">You have a work book, with chapters each with their own assessment items. If you were to copy that book precisely, then you might be opening yourself to copyright breaches, so be very careful. Cease and desist orders can be very expensive. We all face these issues and how we respond to them is an individual choice. Some foolishly, blithely ignore the issue, others, like me, just love reinventing the wheel so might use ideas from a number of different sources, but we create our own resources and activities. I learned long ago that it is OK to leave behind a body of work for others to use, even if they are people whom you are leaving them with are erm... not very likeable, shall we say. Pick your own level, something you are comfortable with and try not to plagiarize too much. Look for resources that have a Creative Commons seal on them, modify them for your own use, don't just use them as they may not suit your cohort of users, or may be about the mark but not precisely target your learning objectives. It's a lot of work, but it becomes easier to maintain that than it is to create it. </span>

The Moodle Docs are a good place to start, Managing a Course has good information. Adding activities has another set of pages. You can't have Activities without Resources. Understanding the differences between each type of activity and resource will help you figure out what you want to use in your course. Initially, remember the KISS principle, it's all about building your confidence with an unfamiliar tool. If you are confident in your work, then your students will be a lot more relaxed about this brand new tool. They will still push back, but if you sound like you know what you want, and keep a consistent message about using Moodle, they will come around.  

Some of the questions you are asking already are a lot further down the track than your knowledge of the tool will allow for easy understanding. Groups are simple, once you understand how Roles work, Yes, you can use one course for as many different classes at the same time without an administrative nightmare, using Groups, or, my favourite, Course meta-links.  But don't rush it, Moodle is a big and can be subtle tool and will trip you up if you try too hard.

Aghh enough.... Good luck... 

In reply to Ryan Bupp

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Am surprised no one has asked ... I will.   Who are your 'learners'/'students'?

Clue given ... 'building out a course from an existing workbook.'   (you've already been given a caution about copyright ... do pay attention to that!)

'Workbook' for? (am from USA so pardon the lingo) ... Elementary, Intermediate, junior High School, High School, Junior College, GED (Young Adults), Credit Recovery, other?   Subject matter also a factor ... Math, English, English as Second Language, Foreign Language, etc.

Do your students already have experience with 'on line learning' in an online course?

Will you be face-to-face with these students at any time?   If so, in a classroom setting?  MWF? etc.

Many tools one could use ... many ways to organize ... think I'd consider the learners first then decide on how to organize, what tools to use for XYZ, etc..

Give yourself license to fail!  You might not 'get it right' the first 'ride out of the chute' (am also from Texas! smile)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ryan Bupp

by James Steerpike -

There are 9 "lessons" that are 10-20 pages each.  At the end of each lesson, there are questions that are more essay-type than something I could quiz

I assume your students already have the workbook so I really wonder if duplicating this material on Moodle ( ignoring for the moment copyright issues) adds anything for your students.

Comes back to - why do you want to use Moodle? What benefits do you expect your students to gain? What in your present teaching do you want to improve?

Once you are clear of the purpose of using the tool called Moodle, start small with a single lesson. How you organize this - IMHO - is of little importance. What is important is how well this first lesson  works for you and your students.  Build your topics slowly and with constant assessment of their effectiveness. Organization will become clearer as you proceed.