Moodle Adminer

Moodle Adminer

by Chris Nelson -
Number of replies: 6

I am trying to use Moodle Adminer to do a dump of the mysql database. However I am not sure what options need to be checked off for this to work correctly. Also, when I restore the database what would be the correct settings for this as well?

I have selected the correct database and clicked in Dump and all the tables are selected. 

The questions are for output, I assume I would select save or gzip?

For Format I assume I would select sql - as the format of the file has to have ****.sql

For Database  - i am not sure what to select. The drop down has USE, DROP+CREATE and CREATE and 2 check boxes: one called routines and the other Events. Right now there is nothing selected under the drop down and there are checkmarks next to both routines and events.

For tables the drop down shows DROP+CREATE and Triggers is checked off.

For DATA it shows as INSERT.

Are these all the correct settings when I select Dump or are there changes that need to be made? 

I have searched through Moodle and Google but unable to find any details on these settings. I have attached a screen shot of the above information.

I hesitate to mention which version we are using right now as I am not sure if anyone will assist. And I am not sure if the version of Moodle is pertinent to my question, I am running version 2.6. We are in the process of upgrading to the newest version later this fall. We are running moodle on Server 2008 R2 and PHP v5.6, and MySQL 5.x?? and IIS 7.

Thank you

Attachment adminer-settings.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Nelson

Re: Moodle Adminer

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I can't help on this but I wanted to say...version could be so much worse.  2.6 is old but 1.9 is older.  And I know people still on 1.9. (shudder)

In reply to Chris Nelson

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

just change the output to save. 

Although, you can't really use Moodle adminer to restore the backup as you don't (yet) have a Moodle site wherever you are restoring. 

Generally speaking, you are better using a database client independent of Moodle for this sort of thing. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Chris Nelson -

Thanks Harold. The purpose of backing up the database, is so I can restore it to a new server running the same version of moodle. Then doing updates to PHP/MYSQL, so I can gradually upgrade moodle in the proper steps to eventually get to the newest version of moodle.

I am not sure what you mean by a independent database client? Are you referring to something such as phpmyadmin - but not through moodle?

In reply to Chris Nelson

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Harold? wide eyes

Yeh - you can't upload a complete Moodle database dump through Adminer. Well, maybe you *can* but it's a bad idea. You're changing the database that is running the site that you're using to do the upload. It's not a clever idea. 

Yes - use phpadmin if you have it. Use whatever you used to create the database in the first place.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Chris Nelson -

Sorry about that Howard. Thank for your input. If I remember correctly it was the mysql command line was used to the create the database etc.