Quiz Hints are not being displayed in Adaptive Mode

Quiz Hints are not being displayed in Adaptive Mode

by Joseph Patrick Wertz -
Number of replies: 11

The 'help' for quiz hints says they should be displayed in Interactive and Adaptive Mode, but they are not being displayed in Adaptive Mode or Adaptive Mode (without penalties).

I do get the penalty and cumulative penalty messages displayed, so I know that's working, and the Hints work in Interactive mode, but I don't get them displayed in either Adaptive mode.

I'm running 3.3 with the Adaptable theme and this is a Numerical question. I haven't run any experiments yet with other quiz question types or a clean test install of Moodle. So I'm not sure if this is a help issue, or a theme issue, or just a display problem in chrome?

If someone has a quick answer that'd be great. If not I'll dig into it a bit deeper. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Patrick Wertz

Re: Quiz Hints are not being displayed in Adaptive Mode

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I think the docs are wrong. I think hints are only shown in Interactive mode.

In reply to Tim Hunt

So, since I've been looking for a reason/motivation to dig into the moodle code anyway, should the docs change or should the adaptive mode behavior change?

Quicker to change the docs, but it makes sense to have hints in the adaptive modes since the questions can be attempted multiple times. 

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. Could you point me in the direction of the documentation page that says hints are available for Adaptive mode and I will correct them? Thanks

In reply to Mary Cooch

Actually, since I've been thinking about it more, I think the help text is technically correct. I interpreted it wrong because of assumptions I made about the help link's location.

It's not a documentation page on moodle.org.

It's the little 'help' question-mark-circle on my moodle site. When creating a new quiz question, in the 'Multiple tries' section, next to 'Penalty for each incorrect try'. Clicking on that takes me to a help page that mentions the penalty in adaptive and interactive modes. Which is accurate.

My confusion was that because the hints are in the same 'Multiple Tries' subsection when creating a quiz question I assumed the help link was a reference for the penalty and the hints when it's not. It's just referring to the penalty and there's no help link for the hints themselves.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Are there any reasons to use adaptive instead of interactive with multiple tries modes?

In reply to Marcus Green

It's an ungraded quiz just to make sure they read the syllabus, so I want them to have unlimited chances. I don't care how many times they guess as long as they get the right answer eventually, because I just use quizzes to force them to engage with certain material and as an access-restriction to other parts of the course.

Interactive Mode restricts them to the # of hints + 1 and then locks the question. They could reattempt the entire quiz, but that's a really roundabout solution involving lots of reclicking and page loading to try the question again. I'm also not a fan of them having to click 'Try Again' to reattempt instead of just changing the answer like they can in Adaptive. Requiring all that additional clicking and page loading is a minor annoyance Adaptive mode removes.

The hints aren't vital or super important, since they have infinite attempts, but since both modes allow multiple attempts at the question and hints are in a 'multiple tries' subcategory when I created the question I expected them to show up in Adaptive.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Nice use of the quiz.

You are right the adaptive is probably the better fit, but hints don't work there.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by chetan raina -

https://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Quiz_settings

This says that the adaptive mode provides hints to the question.

In reply to chetan raina

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The documentation you referenced is out of date - if you look at the blue message at the top it says Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.2. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Quiz settings.

The up to date version on Question behaviour, including adaptive mode is here.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by chetan raina -

Oh, i didn't see it. I wonder why a google search is showing an old document as the first result instead of the new one. 

In reply to chetan raina

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you created the hints?  They need to be added to each question in the question edit settings...