Not all questions apear for lerners to answer.

Not all questions apear for lerners to answer.

by Corrie Emery -
Number of replies: 9

Hi all,

i have the following issue, I have done my best to problem solve and cant figure out whats happened.

One of my courses contain a quiz made up of 19 questions. however when a student attempts the quiz, only 18 questions are available to them. it seems the first question in the quiz never appears for them. When i grade the quiz (made up of all short essay questions) I can see all 19 questions, with no attempt for question 1.

when i attempt the quiz, i also only get 18 questions with the 1st never appearing. i have attached images to i hope better show the issue.

the first image shows (when grading the quiz, you can see all 19 questions, the second when i or a students atempts, you can see in the quiz navigation block, only 18...???

Moodle stats:

Moodle version - 2015051109.02
Moodle release  - 2.9.9+ (Build: 20161129)

Quiz Module version (if it helps)
Mod_quiz - 2015051109.02

Attachment Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 11.33.08 AM.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 11.33.35 AM.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Corrie Emery

Re: Not all questions apear for lerners to answer.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The most useful screen-grab to show us would be the Edit quiz page.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Corrie Emery -

here is the edit Quis page, the question, in question... angry is Question 1, where the cursor is.

let me know if you need anything else.

Attachment Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 2.03.52 PM.png
In reply to Corrie Emery

by Corrie Emery -

if this helps at all here is the question preview

Attachment Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 2.09.45 PM.png
In reply to Corrie Emery

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

In addition to the screen grab page, can you tell us if this question is from a different category?  Maybe at a different level than the others?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Corrie Emery -

to be honest Im not sure exactly what your asking, I wasn't aware there were those kind of settings. each question has been generated in each quiz, for each course. No questions have been migrated, or shared from other quizzes / levels or courses.

In reply to Corrie Emery

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

It won't tell you why, but have you tried deleting and recreating the question?

In reply to Corrie Emery

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks for the additional screen-grabs.

The only thing I can see that might explain what is happening is that the screen-grab fo this attempt has the "Start another preview" button. So, it is only a preview not a real attempt. And it could be a preview you started before adding the 19th question.

That is the only explanation I can think of now that seems to cover the information you have given. However, I am probably missing something.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Corrie Emery -

Thanks Tim,

the preview of the "Question" i'm trying to solve the issue about, is from the quiz question bank. the Question is part of the quiz, and it shows in the results, making the thiz a total of 22 questions, with a total score of 22 (one point for each question) but students can only attempt 21 of them. (question 1 never shoes in their attempt)

I can see the question in the quiz results page (see first posted image above) and when im in manual grading, i can see and grade question 1, but again, the student only sees 21 of the 22 questions.

If anyone else could shed some light....

In reply to Corrie Emery

by Tim Hunt -

If I was investigating this, my next step would be to look in the database.

1. First work out the quiz.id (which is not the same as the cmid).
  2. Then looks at exactly what is in the quiz_slots table for that quiz.
  3. Then in the UI click "Start another preview" and look at the layout column for that row in the quiz_attempts table (which should be a list of slot numbers).
  4. I would also look at the linked data in the question_attempts table (question_attempts.questionusageid = quiz_attempts.uniqueid).

That might give some clues (or it might not).