Restoring quiz from 1.8 to 2.8, error/missing_common_question_field

Restoring quiz from 1.8 to 2.8, error/missing_common_question_field

by Robert Frost -
Number of replies: 1

Trying to help one of our local districts out, they are on 1.8, can backup and restoring everything in their courses to our 2.8.7 server other than quizzes.  When I try to do a restore on any quiz I get the message:  error/missing_common_question_field.  I've limited the backup down to just one quiz at a time and get the same message when restoring each time.  Is there any hope for this or do I just tell them to make all new?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Frost

Re: Restoring quiz from 1.8 to 2.8, error/missing_common_question_field

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you can't make the backups work, then you might be able to save the questions. In Moodle 1.8, export them from the question bank in 'Moodle XML format'. Then import that into Moodle 2.8.x. It might work, and that would just leave the work of re-assembling the questions into quizzes.

The other thing you could try is to get installs of some other Moodle versions. E.g. 1.9.x, 2.1.x. The try backing up and restoring 1.8 -> 1.9 -> 2.1 -> 2.8. There might be a sequence like that which works. Not sure how many steps will be required, or if it would save any time. Also, to install old Moodles, you probably need to find old PHP versions.