Grader Report "Select Box" not changing on Boost V3.4.x

Grader Report "Select Box" not changing on Boost V3.4.x

by Gary Rapson -
Number of replies: 9

We have been upgrading Moodle since V3.0.0 on this installation and have had an issue with the Boost theme not working on the Select Boxes.

On the Grader Report the drop down to change to say single view, grader report, scales view, etc does nothing. If we change the theme (?theme= in URL) it works fine. I suspect something odd with Boost?

This issue is also on Groups in Course Completion.. Selecting an option does nothing...

Does anyone have suggestions? Nothing shows up in developer tools for Javascript errors, have tried multiple browsers.

Attachment grade report select-source.JPG
Attachment grade report select.JPG
In reply to Gary Rapson

Re: Grader Report "Select Box" not changing on Boost V3.4.x

by Gary Rapson -

I came across this page - https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Grade_settings

And was able to change the navigation from just selection box to selection and tabs. The tabs work as expected, but the selection box still fails to work.

Sadly this "fix" does not help with Groups as they do not appear as tabs. Also, selecting a user/student (such as in the Overview Report) does not either update the data below.

I have cleared the cache, turned off caching of javascript, turned off the grouping of YUI and enabled theme developer mode without change..

In reply to Gary Rapson

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I am confused - there is no groups page in the gradebook...it sounds like you have an ajax/javascript issue going on.  Do dropdown lists not work anywhere?  Or just in the gradebook?  Do you have additional css on your site?  

It sounds like you have been messing with YUI settings - do you mean you turned off the combo yui setting?  Are you using exterior YUI libraries?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Gary Rapson -
Hi Emma,

Thank you for taking your time to reply to me. That is correct, the Groups are in the Course Completion area (not Grades). I was more highlighting that the issue is more wide spread than just this area. Any drop down that is used to filter/change a page does not work - i.e. the on change event is not being actioned or failing.

I was also leaning to a Javascript/AJAX error, as it only affects the Boost Theme. We are jumping between two themes to use the selections and is getting a bit frustrating for the teachers.

Our moodle is completely vanilla with just the Custom Certificate plugin installed. All other settings are default. We have no custom CSS or Javascript files.

Yes today only, I have gone into the settings of the site administration to try change any ajax/javascript files. I ran it through Safari, IE, Edge, Chrome, Mozilla (on PC) and Chrome/Safari (on iPad) all have the same issue in Boost.

With that in mind, non of the browser developer tools have errors in the console/debug. I have tried both https and http.

In reply to Gary Rapson

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Is this site internal - all on the same network?  Could it be a firewall or network setting?  Have you tried upgrading to a slightly newer version to see if you don't just have a corrupt install.  This is not a boost issue - people would have been screaming all over the forums if it was!!  It is specific to your installation...

by Gary Rapson -

Hi Emma,

The system is hosted remotely and is accessed from various networks. I might have to do a download of the server files and run a cross check against a fresh Moodle 3.4.3 to see any differences in the files. Is there some automated tool/plugin that verifies the moodle install?

I have been delaying the upgrade to 3.5.x branch as it seems to be a big jump and at the time the Custom Cert plugin wasnt yet supported.

Gary

In reply to Gary Rapson

by Emma Richardson -

No tool that I know of.  I would probably start by asking your host to check that something is not amiss with the server...I normally just do a full upgrade process again but with a fresh download of the same version of code or one step higher if you don't want to take another leap.

by Gary Rapson -

Hi Emma,

Thanks for the advice. I will set aside some time next week to reinstall. I have spoken with the provider and they do not have any noticeable errors on their side.

Regards
Gary

In reply to Gary Rapson

by Josiah Hall -

We are experiencing the same issue on our install. If you find the resolution could you please post the solution here? smile 
We updated from 2.8 to 3.4.2+ over the summer break (Public School District in the US). 

On our development server (single server) everything worked great for the update, but on the production servers (3-mirrored servers) any Boost related theme loses function of nearly all dropdowns. All worked prior to updating and we haven't found any noticeable issues on the server end. We have about 140,000 users on our install between students and staff so obviously we would like to keep downtime to a minimum if possible. I have tried all other suggestions to no avail so far. 

All help is greatly appreciated. I can get any information you may need from our specific install if it will help.

In reply to Josiah Hall

by Gary Rapson -

I finally got around to working on the issue - resolved. Comparing the Moodle 3.4.3 files on our server against a fresh install... The issue with the Boost theme was related to:

• boost\templates\core\single_select.mustache
  • boost\templates\core\url_select.mustache

In addition these files should not exist:

• boost\templates\core\logn.mustache
  • boost\templates\core\pix_icon.mustache
  • boost/pix/fp/*.png

All these files are from 9 July 2017 so Moodle 3.3.x branch. We did the Installatron upgrade.