Course Reset

Course Reset

by James Foster -
Number of replies: 4

In my courses I create a forum that my students can then use.  When I reset the course there is no option to save only my posts.  It's an 'all or nothing' delete.  Does anyone know of a plugin/workaround that I could use in order to save myself the time of re-posting my forums messages each time  (I have over 100 per course).

Many Thanks

James

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Foster

Re: Course Reset

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I know what you mean, James.

No, I don't know of any way to preserve posts for reuse.  I too have over 100 per course, and I copy/paste these each semester.

Some of what we want is captured in MDL-29517.

Also, this discussion captures some of what we propose.

Someday, I might propose a MUA project for what we want.  But I think that it would be a big project.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by James Foster -

Hi Rick,

I've just been playing around and played with backing up a 'clean' version of the forums on their own, you don't need gradebooks etc (it means you can keep the file small).  As long as you include the user information as well, you can then Restore them to a course.

I've just tried it and it works.  It means I can reset the course, restore the 'clean' forum posts and off I go.

Hope this helps with your problem too.

James

In reply to James Foster

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Interesting.

At what point do they get emailed to students, if at all?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by James Foster -

Dear Rick,

For my lot, they don't.  I have 'Forum Post' Pages in the course that directs students to each topics forum.  They can then optionally subscribe for email.

I try to avoid emailing all the students as I am on a shared host ISP server while I try all this out (I'm a newbie) and I get blocked from people like qq.com and 163.com (public accounts like hotmail and gmail) if I send more than 50 messages in an hour.

I suppose, if you needed an email to go out, you could try restoring most of the forum posts from the backup and then recreating the first of each forum so that it's then emailed to your students.

Good luck

James