Moodle Badge - Receive Badge Every Time Course is Complete

Moodle Badge - Receive Badge Every Time Course is Complete

by MAG II -
Number of replies: 5

Hello - 

I am in the process of creating a corporate training course in my Moodle instance. I have it configured in that when an employee completes the course, they receive a badge. This works well. 

The course I am creating is intended to be an annual training course, in which employees are required to take once a year. Is there a way to configure the badge settings in that a cumulative list of badges will populate every time an employee completes this course? As far as I can tell, only one badge is issued per course completion.

Something to note - I have the plugin Course Recompletion enabled. This automatically resets the course after a specified period of time. The idea is that when a course resets, the employee takes it again, and then begins to collect badges each time that course is complete.

Any help / insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to MAG II

Re: Moodle Badge - Receive Badge Every Time Course is Complete

by MAG II -

Following up on my initial post, is it possible to re-earn an expired badge? As of now it seems that an expired badge on a user's Dashboard just sits there, and cannot be reissued. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?

In reply to MAG II

by Sara Arjona Téllez -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Drew!

I think the best approach for your case is to create a badge every year and set the expiration date. That way, users will be able to save their previous earned badges, but they will need to complete the course to earn the new one.

Cheers!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sara Arjona Téllez

by MAG II -

Hi Sara - 

Thanks for the advice. Your solution would work in my case, however, it's not ideal. I was hoping to have earning/receiving badges to be automated. Seems like that is not possible at this point. Thanks again though!

In reply to MAG II

by Frank Hieber -

Why do you need to know the past history of the badge?

I'm doing almost the exact same thing that you're doing, but I've set the badges to expire 365 days from the date of issue.  At any given time I can report on who has valid training and who still needs to complete it.  I'm using this for Forklift Training, Allergen Control training, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) training, and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) training.  I have noticed some quirks related to badges though. 

If I create a badge from within a course it gives me the option to make the badge dependent on Activity completion (i.e. complete post training quiz with passing grade).  But if I create the badge from within the Site Administration module I can only use Course completion as a criteria.  The badges created from within the course work exactly as I wish, but they are not visible in the Site Administration Badge Management screen which is strange.  But if I give it the same name as an existing badge I get an error.  So they're connected somewhat but not correctly.  If I create a badge in the Site Administration Badge Management screen it won't work at all.

Somehow I also managed to accidentally assign completion criteria for several courses that requires that multiple courses be complete as a pre-requisite for completing the course the student is working on and there is currently no way to remove that pre-req course once selected.

In reply to Frank Hieber

by MAG II -

I would like to know the history of the badges issued because when/if my company gets audited, we are able to run reports showing employees completing training courses year after year. When I set a badge to expire after 365 days, it will expire, however, the employee is not able to re-earn that same badge when re-completing the course. 

I like the idea of the badge system, it just seems finicky at this point.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)