Once again: same badge in several courses

Once again: same badge in several courses

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

This issue was discussed here several times.  There is a requirement for use of same badge in several courses.  Helen suggested to use a site wide role. this may be an option in small organisations but not everywhere.

Here some situations:

• The same course with the same badge is given in the same term several times but different teachers
  • The same course is given annually with the same syllabus and the same badge
  • If the trainer/teavcher get site wide permission to award badges they get access to different types of badges. But they should get only access to badges that are related to the topics they teach.

I think this are typical situations in lots of organisations.  Is there a need for an improvement by anyone else that we can add it to the tracker?

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: Once again: same badge in several courses

by Elisabeth Levi -

I could use the same feature. It would be good if badges created by one teacher could be shared with others or if you create a badge in one course, you could use it in others.

In reply to Elisabeth Levi

by Mark Downey -

Hi all.

Can someone please explain the principle behind the way badges are intended to work. We are having a similar challenge in Moodle 3.1 right now.

We have a course that repeats with different users every 6 months. The badge is the same but the Moodle course is not.

It seems badges are linked to user data, so we haven't been able to backup & restore the badges created in the original Moodle course. We really want the exact same badge reused.

Site badges won't work as each badge is linked to completing a separate quiz within the same course. The quizzes copy over fine in subsequent repeats of the course, but we need their completion to be linked to the badges.

Current workarounds I am thinking about are: 

1. making very similar badges for each course. Lots of work. every six months.

2. Create a meta-linked site that holds the badges and link subsequent courses to it. Complex as I'll need to restrict access to this site for previous cohorts of users, whilst cleaning out unnecessary user data. This way the badges stay at one version.

Any other ideas? As previous people have said would be handy if badges (along with criteria) could be "rolled over" into future Moodle courses.

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by heli g -

Attempting to resolve this issue I restored a course backup which included all activities, badges and user data to a new course. I restored the users as Manual accounts. Once the course was restored, I deleted the Manual enrolment method, thereby removing all restored users, then added the enrolment method again. I then reset the activities which still contained user data from the previous course (Quiz attempts, Forum posts, Feedback responses...)

The badges exist in the restored course, disabled but with images, criteria and 0 recipients.

So I appear to have resolved this issue in a rather convoluted way... but now I am worried about any unforeseen issues that may arise given that badges with the same name in multiple courses has been such a problem for so many... Do you think the restored course with duplicated badges are good to go? Are there any gotchas I may have missed?

I'd appreciate all thoughts on this.

Heli

In reply to heli g

by Sara Arjona Téllez -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Heli!

I can't see a problem having a badge with the same name in several courses. However, if it's really the same badge and there is no difference between the courses where you can earned it, maybe it would be better to move it as a site badge (and set the criteria to all the courses which are related to it). 

On the other hand, if it's not really the same badge (although they have the same name), maybe it worth it to rename the new one (before enabling it), and add this little difference to the name: maybe the year, the classroom, the speciality, a correlative letter.

Cheers!

Sara

In reply to Sara Arjona Téllez

by heli g -

Thanks for the reply Sara,

The course material is the same but the students are different. The badges have been set up by a particular lecturer who wants to have them available in all his courses - since we have a very big Moodle site with 10 of 1000s of courses and well over 2000 Teachers I don't think site badges are an option here.

What the lecturer wanted was the ability to import his badges as mentioned in the Tracker issue raised earlier in this thread https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-43938. We appear to have achieved this by restoring with user data and then deleting the user data. I then read that badges cannot be created with the same name and got worried... As you suggest, I think I will ask him to add the course code to the name when enabling the badges just to be on the safe side.

Thanks again

Heli

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to heli g

by Sara Arjona Téllez -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Heli!

I think that adding more information to the badge name about the course where they are awarded  is a good approach. In fact, it you need to edit the badge information before enabling it, you'll realise you won't be able to do it until you change the badge name (because of the uniqueness current limitation).

I've added these steps as workaround to the improvement for adding support to import badges smile Thanks for your contribution!! wink

Cheers!

Sara

Average of ratings: Useful (1)