Want to video record in EFL oral language assessment

Want to video record in EFL oral language assessment

by Tom Connolly -
Number of replies: 8

I give 180 students an oral English assessment once a semester, face to face, one by one.  It is a very tiring task to say the least.  I am looking for ways that Moodle can help me.  What has to happen:

1. Students log into their account

2.  Choose the midterm exam activity.

3.  Moodle will choose one of 8 paragraphs for the student.  The student will read it.  Moodle will video record them while they are reading.

4.  After the student is finished, Moodle will ask the students 4 questions (choose 4 out of 12) and will video record the answers.

I am willing to do whatever legwork is necessary to make this happen but I would appreciate it if you can first tell me:

1. Can this be done on  Moodle by either using a computer with a webcam or a cell phone?

2.  Which module will manage the video recording?

I am already familiar with the rest of the process.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Connolly

Re: Want to video record in EFL oral language assessment

by William Stewart -

Tom,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "moodle will video record them". For point 3, this seems like a webcam, while point 4 seems like a screen recording of 4 questions or is it for 4 additional spoken questions?

You can have  a Moodle Quiz pull from a question bank and essentially randomize whatever the questions are. I recommend Poodll as the vehicle of choice as it allows for audio and video responses. It works on a mobile phone since it is all html5 as well (in a mobile browser, not the app for now). Although Poodll is not a free plug in, you can get a two week trial I believe. You can test it out at https://poodll.com/ in the test Moodle Justin has running. We use Poodll extensively for speaking assessments in our program.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to William Stewart

by Tom Connolly -

Thanks!  By "Moodle recording" I mean that Moodle will use a webcam or the cam in a phone to record the student reading the passage or answering the question.  Moodle will store the video and I can access it at a later time.

In reply to Tom Connolly

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

There are a lot of ways in which this can be done and using Moodle like you want is not likely to be all that successful. What you might chose to do is something like 

1. Use Screencast-o-matic - Free software, but the Free version carries a watermark. 

2. With webcam and mic, display the passage and with the right setup student can appear in the video as an insert in one corner. You can see them actually reading the passage as they record. 

3. Save resulting video 

4. Upload to the Moodle. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

With Moodle 3.5 see

(also available as a plugin for earlier versions)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by William Stewart -
Mary, I have been following this plugin and was glad to see it added into Moodle core, however, I don't believe there is any (current) way to use this in the Quiz activity. There's no Question Type so to speak, and even if using an essay question, the recorder will not show up in the editor. Another limitation is that the audio (and presumably video) is capped at a maximum length of 2 minutes. There are of course differences between how the assignment and quiz activity function. 

In our Language program, most student recordings are at a minimum 2 minutes long, with a maximum length of 4 minutes. I'm looking forward to the day when the core feature is has been more thoroughly developed to accommodate all activities like Quiz in the form of a question type, as well as having more granular control over the recorder (such as the ability to set maximum lengths like 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3minutes, etc.).

In reply to William Stewart

by Ian MacKinnon -

Hi William,

You can use this with the Essay question type if you select the editor "HTML editor with file picker", and the maximum duration can be configured in the RecordRTC plugin settings at /admin/settings.php?section=atto_recordrtc_settings

Ian

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ian MacKinnon

by William Stewart -

Ian,

I stand corrected! That's not an obvious way to get the recorder to show up in the editor but it definitely works smile. Much appreciated for updating my understanding of how it works.

In reply to Tom Connolly

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Tom,

The plugin(s) that will let you do what you describe is the PoodLL 3 filter with it's extra plugins for quiz question and database fields along with the tool button plugins (PoodLL Anywhere) for Atto and TinyMCE. Extra versatility is is also available if you include the PoodLL repository. Note: PoodLL3 does cost money but is worth it because it adds audio/video capability to nearly every part of Moodle.