Dashboard - Question about Blocks / Course Expiration

Dashboard - Question about Blocks / Course Expiration

by MAG II -
Number of replies: 2

Hello - 

I am new to the Moodle community, as I am trying to set up a platform in which my company can  post annual training courses. For now we're using Moodle in simple terms. Employees read documentation, take a quiz, and then receive a certificate. 

My question relates to the Blocks on the Default Dashboard Page. Is there such a thing as creating a Block that indicates to the user when they have taken a course, as well as when they're required to take it again? I did manage to implement a plugin called "Course Recompletion," which resets the course progress after a set amount of days, but I don't see any corresponding Block(s).

Does anyone have any advice for me about how I should begin to go about finding ways to track user expiration dates for courses? The idea is that users are able to clearly see when a course expires on their Dashboard, so they know when to retake it. Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to MAG II

Re: Dashboard - Question about Blocks / Course Expiration

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

What a good question, thank you for asking it. Currently, I don't think there is anything in Moodle that does this, but as more and more organizations are using this kind of training-retraining scheduling, it is likely to become important. I can't think of anything that would do it either, in Moodle. I would suggest you create an account in Moodle Tracker to add this as a suggested improvement. A good one for sure. 

As an alternative, you might want to have a look at Mahara, an ePortfolio system, and possibly make a Mahoodle, where both apps share resources. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: Dashboard - Question about Blocks / Course Expiration

by MAG II -

Hi Colin - 

Thanks for the response. I will redirect my question to the Moodle Tracker and hope for the best. 

What about creating a Block from scratch? I understand that one needs to do so through the PHP files, but is creating a Block to have such a feature (course tracking/expiration) feasible at all?