Unable to cancel plugin installation

Unable to cancel plugin installation

by Radu Hobincu -
Number of replies: 6

Hello,

I was trying to install a plugin in a 3.1 Moodle deployment (https://moodle.org/plugins/tinymce_managefiles) and I got the message that a higher version is already installed (see screenshot below). I decided that I don't want to install it in this case so I just closed the tab. However, now every time I log in to Moodle, I'm redirected to this page, even after clearing the cache. I can still access other pages as long as I know the URL.

I eventually clicked "Upgrade Moodle database now" but it failed, and it returned me to this page. Is there a way to cancel this installation?

Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Radu Hobincu

Re: Unable to cancel plugin installation

by Just H -

Delete the new plugin directory and replace with a copy of the current version you already have installed.

In reply to Just H

by Radu Hobincu -

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the server in order to make filesystem changes. I fixed it by going to the plugin management page and removing the existing plugin so the new one can install. It was a rather stressing thing to do since about 3000 students depend on that particular Moodle deployment but eventually it was a happy ending.

R.

In reply to Radu Hobincu

by John Paul -

hey I faced the same issue and i don't have access to server. I'm trying to remove the existing plugin. but in my case I'm not able to remove the existing plugin from the plugin management page because there is no uninstall option. how do i resolve? thanks a ton.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Just H

by Krisha Moeller -

I just ran into this same issue, because the most recent "lpimportcsv" plugin that is available to download on the Moodle site is actually outdated. This was a very inconvenient way to solve the problem since, like Radu, I do not have access permissions to the folder in question (not your fault, of course -- I greatly appreciate your solution). 

Could we make a suggestion to the Moodle team to create an easier way to cancel downgraded plugin installations?

Thank you so much!

In reply to Just H

by Krisha Moeller -

Oh dear. I was just informed by our IT staff that the contents of the admin/tool/lpimportcsv was reset to those in the initial Moodle package, and yet we are still getting an error message now (see below) and can't access our Moodle site until it is resolved. What should we do now? Please help. Thank you so much!

Error message says "Not in the Plugins directory: tool_lp"

In reply to Krisha Moeller

by Daniell Goodin -

I understand this feeling 

and while on one hand...

installing any plugin is actually the responsibility of the person installing it. 

There could be a better way of handling this so that one plugin install doesn't  hose a full Moodle install.. 

Not as easy as it sounds, as there is the changes being made to the database.. 

But, your IT department should be able to get in to the backend of the Moodle install and rip out the corrupted plugin directory that is causing this problem.. 

this seems to the the quickest way to get your site back.. As trying to debug this can take for ever..

I have been through this a number of times on my development site when I am testing a new plugin I may want and or have been a little ambitious by rolling back my actual Moodle Version install to try out older plugins. 

Getting back to the request for a better system for plugin checks.. 

it is a catch 22.. the powers that create could lock it down so only admin have that power.. which would save headaches.. then admins would have to be well versed in what they are about to do when they upgrade or add in a new plugin..