How to disable browser spell checker?

How to disable browser spell checker?

by Manuel Alejandro Gómez Nicasio -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

Is it possible to disable the browser built-in spell checker on the Text Editor text area?

At the school I work for we are testing Moodle to use in our courses. We want to disable the browser built-in spell checker in the quiz section so we can evaluate spelling on the open/essay questions.

I just found this information on stackowerflow (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/254712/disable-spell-checking-on-html-textfields) but my question regarding Moodle is Where should I add this configuration?

Is there a way to do so on the Site Administration section or do I have to change some code?

Regards,

Alex.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Manuel Alejandro Gómez Nicasio

Re: How to disable browser spell checker?

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Alex,

The Atto editor turn on spellchecking when it initializes here. You can change this value to false, install and run shifter in atto/yui/src to compress the changes. This will disabled spellcheck wherever Atto is used which may not be what you want.

It would be better to create an Atto plugin to change the value after the editor loads on essay questions. 

Daniel

In reply to Daniel Thies

by Manuel Alejandro Gómez Nicasio -
Hi Daniel,

I would like to disable spell checking only in quizzes not for the whole site.

Is there any doc about plugin development? Maybe I can try to do something.

For now I think I'll try to use some javascript to disable spell checking after atto initializes.

Alex.

In reply to Manuel Alejandro Gómez Nicasio

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Atto plugins are some of the easiest to start on. Documentation for creating plugins is available Atto docs. Your plugin would be very simple. It does not need to add a button, but only set attribute of the editor in the initialization code.